PDA

View Full Version : Tablet woes only temporary

henry_crun
14th Oct 2014, 21:07
My jelly bean tablet has been misbehaving recently, google full-page adverts, facebook small panel adverts, and finally a message came up which said com.android.server fail. The message wouldn't cancel, just kept on repeating.

For a while resetting the tablet with the standard android long press on the hardware on/off button got me out of it, but the message came more frequently until it was only seconds after recovery that it crashed again.

Luckily there was just time to turn off wifi, so I stayed local and had a look for the cause. Tried lots of things like stop all tasks, total clean and anti-virus check but with no success.

Finally I did a factory reset. Miraculous! Back to working as nomal, just had to download all my apps again and set up my bookmarks.

Data just reappeared, no problem, google had clouded it for me and back it all came, photos, olders, files, the lot.

I am well impressed. It's like having a brand new machine!

safelife
15th Oct 2014, 07:00
Praise the cloud.

Loose rivets
15th Oct 2014, 10:10
. . . and all the people's data it says it will probably not own.

Avtrician
15th Oct 2014, 11:26
The popups probably came in one of the downloaded apps. Some of them add an unrequested add popup app as well, can be difficult to get rid of.

henry_crun
15th Oct 2014, 12:29
Thanks Avtrician, yes, very definitely app and app update related.

Have found an app called AirPush Detector which finds and uninstalls ad apps, hopefully that will help in future.

OFSO
15th Oct 2014, 16:18
I have uninstalled Giggle Playstore completely and set my tab not to automatically update anything of any sort. On the rare occasions I might want a new app it doesn't take any time to reinstall Playstore - and take it off again afterwards.

Good little devices but you have to show 'em who is master.

Capn Bloggs
18th Oct 2014, 13:26
I have uninstalled Giggle Playstore completely
How'd you do that? I can't; the only option is to "uninstall the updates to this Android System app".

Are you rooted?

henry_crun
20th Oct 2014, 21:05
...and how do you get it back again without Playstore to do the fetching?