PDA

View Full Version : Amadeus crash 14.10.14

Rwy in Sight
14th Oct 2014, 20:16
I was on a delayed flight today and the station manager told me (and the captain re-stated over the PA) that there was a problem with Amadeus computer system - it crashed- and over the day of October 14th there were serious delays.

Was there an Amadeus Crash of was it a convenient excuse? The airline is based on south eastern Europe.

Simple curiosity but I am afraid PPRuNe has become my major source of aviation information.

Thanks for those who will answer.

Rwy in Sight

Hartington
15th Oct 2014, 19:29
Systems like Amadeus rarely (if ever) "crash" in the way a PC might, they degrade slowly. The solution is usually to stop various applications until the system stabilises. The Departure Control System is often one of the last to be stopped because of the effect it has on the operation of the airline.

"crash" in this context is usually shorthand that everyone understands even though it's a terminological inexactitude!

BOAC
16th Oct 2014, 09:05
Amadeus crash 14.10.14 - quick - where's the METAR?

CargoMatatu
16th Oct 2014, 12:15
Luckily it managed to avoid the old folks' home and the orphanage! :}

Rwy in Sight
22nd Oct 2014, 07:56
BOAC,

A very good joke:D It is a computer room so it should be warm windless and very low dew point.

Thanks for the info. It seems my flight and one from a near by island were delayed.

Rwy in Sight