PDA

View Full Version : Typing suddenly deletes itself

goudie
14th Oct 2014, 19:16
Sometimes when I'm typing a message on PPRuNe or my e-mail, the words will suddenly and inexplicably delete. Can't see any reason why. Is there a key I'm inadvertantly touching that causes this?
OS is 8.1!

flying lid
14th Oct 2014, 20:41
You have probably pressed the insert key.

When this happens, press it again to turn the function off

Lid

henry_crun
14th Oct 2014, 20:54
One way to avoid this is to type your post into a text program like notepad and then copy/paste.

SpringHeeledJack
14th Oct 2014, 21:12
Maybe you're on the watch list mr goudie and your inflammatory words deleted by the 'Pre-Crime' department :E:suspect:

Btw when typing longer posts it's eminently advisable to type it first in a note and when happy cut and paste as advised by mr crun.

SHJ

tartare
15th Oct 2014, 02:22
Agree with SHJ.
Likely friends at Fort Meade or Cheltenham are watching your every keystroke :eek:

goudie
15th Oct 2014, 11:46
SHJ I ain't sayin 'nuffin!!:ooh:

Quite a few examples of similar problems when Googled, with a myriad of possible solutions.
Discovered the 'ctrl z' brings it back but no idea why it disappears in the first place.
However, many thanks for your advice.

tartare
I'm going to Cheltenham in a few weeks time, might pop in and have word with them!
:suspect:

henry_crun
15th Oct 2014, 12:02
ctrl z is undo

goudie
15th Oct 2014, 12:46
Yes I know Henry, just never thought to use it. I blame brain cell depletion!:confused:

BOAC
15th Oct 2014, 13:58
Is the text that 'disappears' highlighted by chance?

goudie
15th Oct 2014, 14:27
BOAC, no it isn't. I'm currently typing this in the pprune message box, on a ASUS notebook. As I type, I rest the heels of my hands on the corners of the keyboard and I don't appear to touch anything other than the appropriate key.
I've actually typed up some text then deliberately pressed all the keys and touch pad but cannot simulate a deletion.
Ctrl-z seems to be the answer to recovery.

BOAC
15th Oct 2014, 15:19
The reason I asked is that if it is, then any subsequent key press will delete it ( - and CTRL Z ['Undo'] restore).

EEngr
17th Oct 2014, 16:04
The blinking cursor writes
And having writ, blinks on.
;)

ExSp33db1rd
18th Oct 2014, 03:41
And having writ, blinks on.

More likely just disappears into cyberspace, never to be seen again.