PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of overseas instructor rating

gfunc
14th Oct 2014, 04:28
Hi Folks,

A quick question - has anybody successfully converted an overseas instructor rating to its UK equivalent?

I hold an Australian CPL with instructor (Grade 3 - lowest of the low) and there is a medium chance I will be back in the UK in the next 1-2 years due to my partners career and lack of FI jobs in Oz. I've found the steps necessary to convert my CPL (ATPL exams, training up to speed then flight test) but I've not been able to find any info about converting the FI rating.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Gfunc

PS. I hold a UK passport, so work permit, language and sense of fair play not an issue.

ifitaintboeing
14th Oct 2014, 07:59
CAP 804, Section 4 Part Q, Subpart 2 Page 5.

Publications with Titles Containing : cap804 | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/cap804)

ifitaint...

gfunc
14th Oct 2014, 10:36
Tremendous! Thank you.

To summarize for others looking for the same thing:

3.6 ICAO Flight Instructor Rating (A) or (H) holder to Part-FCL FI (A) or (H) Certifi cate 3.6.1 Complete a course of at least 30 hours of ground instruction at an ATO holding an approval for the flight instructor course. The course shall be based on the requirements of FCL.930.FI (b)(1) and (2) and the associated AMC.

3.6.2 Complete a minimum of 15 hours Flight Instruction including a recommendation for test at an ATO holding an approval for the flight instructor course. The fl ight instruction shall be based on the requirements of FCL.930.FI (3)(i) and the associated AMC and be conducted as dual instruction in an aircraft.

3.6.3 Pass the Part-FCL FI(A) or (H) Assessment of Competence appropriate to the aircraft category.

3.6.4 Applicants who can demonstrate they have met the experience requirements for the removal of restriction of FCL.910.FI on the basis of their ICAO Instructor rating may have the Part-FCL Instructor certificate issued without this restriction at initial issue

Ex Oggie
14th Oct 2014, 20:33
This summary might help as well.

ICAO FI Conversion to EASA FI(A) (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/icao-fi-easa-fi.html)

XO

sapperkenno
15th Oct 2014, 20:01
It is possible that those training hours can be reduced somewhat, so don't despair if you're already an ICAO instructor and want to convert. If the ATO recommends a shorter course (although it's not financially in their interest to, but they're not all money-grabbing), as after starting your course it is blatantly obvious that 30 hours of ground and 15 hours of flying won't be necessary to get you to EASA FI test standard, then they can run a proposal by the CAA, and hopefully get a significant reduction in flight training hours and therefore cost for your conversion.

To answer the original question; yes, from FAA.