PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific in the 1960's to 1980's

Foxdeux
13th Oct 2014, 21:02
Hi everyone was just wondering back in the 60's and 70's were SIA and CX as respected as they are today? I know during the 60's "The" airline was Pan Am but was wondering if SIA or CX were near that reputation.

If not then when did SIA and CX really become a '5 star' airline?

Regards,
Brad

SOPS
14th Oct 2014, 01:21
Well I know, in the late 1980s I would have cut off my arm to work for Cathay. That was all I ever wanted to do. I wanted to live in Hong Kong and work for them.

These days...things have changed.

Metro man
14th Oct 2014, 02:11
In the 1980s Cathay were THE airline to work for, Emirates was only just getting started. "A" scale pay rates meant Captains joining CX as junior first officers got an increase. Industrial relations was very good and overall, if you could take living in Hong Kong and long haul flying, it was a dream job.

However if you read the Fragrant Harbour forum it would appear that things aren't quite the same anymore.

perantau
14th Oct 2014, 04:30
SIA wasn't SIA in the 60s. Rather, there was MSA. In the early 70s, that airline split into 2 entities - MAS &:SIA. One focused more on building air links within Malaysia, the other went international.

The 80s was when they really started making a name for themselves.

wongsuzie
14th Oct 2014, 06:01
I recall US$900 crew allowance and free English breakfast at Gatwick.