PDA

View Full Version : Send to

Loose rivets
13th Oct 2014, 13:10
I find this handy but for the life of me, having got to:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo via a windows explorer, I can't figure out how to aim it at a specific drive letter and sub directory/folder. Strangely, it lists perfectly any remote drive I plug in.

Anyone explain in language for a two year old?:uhoh:

Booglebox
13th Oct 2014, 13:22
I guess you want to be able to right click > send to [custom directory of your choice]?
In that folder, right-click > new > shortcut > type file path e.g. c:\stuff
Done!

Keef
13th Oct 2014, 13:30
%APPDATA% means "wherever on this machine the AppData folder is hidden".

Usually, that's on C in a folder that may be called Users followed by your name.

You end up in a folder called something like C:\Users\Rivets\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo which on my machine contains links to Bluetooth, Desktop, Skype, and TeamViewer.

Not a lot of use, really. Or at least, I don't use it. I start at the top and find the folder I want.

mixture
13th Oct 2014, 14:56
Anyone explain in language for a two year old?

Yeah....

Be a good boy and put that back where you found it. :=

:E

In more detail :

The formal Microsoft definition definition is that its is a File system directory that contains Send To menu items. A typical path is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo.

For my bonus points.... The other fancy way to get there is going start->run (or "windows key" + R) and entering "shell:sendto" :E

As for how you use it :

Add a destination by doing one of the following:
Use the drag-and-drop operation to move the item that you want to the SendTo folder; to do so :

right-click, and then click "Create Shortcuts Here"
-or-
Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.

Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.
A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is displayed on the Send To menu.
(from Microsoft KB)

Mac the Knife
13th Oct 2014, 16:01
Just add the SendTo folder to the SendTo list

SendTo SendTo

Mac

:ok:

Loose rivets
15th Oct 2014, 00:41
Whatever was happening suddenly stopped. Right click was causing random problems without further command - e.g., compressing!!!! All this suddenly stopped, perhaps after a reboot, but anyway I can 'Send' a folder or a file to a drive on the offered list of SendTo items. Dragging it to the list did the job just as it should.

Thanks folks for telling me how to find that list.

Okay, that works, but any attempt to send it to that (removable) drive - and into a folder on that drive - fails. A second attempt tells me it's already there, but WTF it is nothing will reveal. Anyway, it has not arrived at the target. Yes, I've spent ages doing searches for that folder. The original is there, but no copies are to be found. Nothing in properties allows any editing to, say, put the drive letter before the target folder. Writing a simple address line like almost every program in the world uses, just seems forbidden.

I created that target just as I did the other - dragging the image of the folder into the send to list. Indeed, it shows on that list as a File Folder. Everything in Properties just shows the full address of the SendTo list. :ugh:

Nothing I can do finds the sent folder. If it wasn't for the thousands of photos I need to sort I'd give up, but it's sooooooo handy to pick one and send it to one of a few targets all with one hand. Perhaps this handy tool is not so handy, and that's why so few people seem to use it.

Loose rivets
15th Oct 2014, 01:15
Further to my post above, I've found where they're going. Once one tries to include a sub-directory/Folder, SendTo simply sends them to its own address!!! However, by just dragging the folder to the list I may not be able to provide the function with enough data. There HAS to be a way to write in the full path . . . doesn't there?

It is just possible there is no way to do this, but not to be able to would be a real shame.