PDA

View Full Version : Level Playing Field

coopervane
29th May 2002, 11:11
All you yanks and down under folk.........nice to see you over here nicking our jobs......so why can we go over there and nick yours?

The answer......because your governments are switched on and ours are plastic fire guards.

Come on lets play fair and then there would be jobs for all!!:mad:

Dan Winterland
29th May 2002, 17:00
And if you look at the 'Atlas Prepares to Strike' thread, you will see plenty of this attitude going on! It appears that part of the reason for the strike is that Atlas pilots are opposed to GSS. I can understand that they are angry that 2 744Fs are no longer on the N register, but the jobs flying those aircraft were British by right, and soon they will be British by fact - partly thanks to the hard work put in by BALPA and IPA through their flagging out objections.

Intruder
29th May 2002, 18:02
Actually, it's not a matter of government intervention as much as it is the failure of business practices that limit the job market.

If there was a viable market for investing in UK- or European-owned airlines with UK- or European-only employees to serve UK or Europe, whay have they not been certificated and why are they not thriving? Airplanes cost the same, regardless of where they are delivered. Hiring local labor should be advantageous to local businesses. Why did it take a 49% investment by Atlas (not to mention a lot of campaining and arm-twisting to even find a UK "partner") to start GSS? Why didn't John Porter and/or Eddie Foyle or some other UK group start GSS on their own several years ago?

I work for a US airline with several British, German, Australian, New Zealand, South African, and Canadian citizens. Jobs are available, though maybe not in the quantities some would like. Likewise, I know several Americans working for China Air, KAL, and a few other non-US airlines.

Finally, don't forget that Europe is NOT a single country, so the arguments regarding cabotage within "Europe" just don't wash, regardless of how advantageous it may make it for some.

coopervane
30th May 2002, 14:49
Apart from the aircrew issue......why is it the likes of UPS & Fed Ex
canfly all over Europe on the N reg (I know some UPS 727s are on the OY) yet you dont see any European registered aircraft in the states or Canada for that matter doing the biz. Open skies...............??? well ours are open.......yours have the lid welded on.
I can see the FAA allowing some UK start up to come and poach a load or two off the big boys! Yeh right

Same old lack of government lack of support.....dont want to upset George W and his consortium.

Doctor Cruces
30th May 2002, 18:28
Coopervane,

Dead right.

Speaking from experiencel, the American idea of a level playing field is everyone playing to their rules and with their ball. As soon as someone objects, they cry foul and take the ball home.

Doc C.

Wino
30th May 2002, 20:28
I see plenty of foreign metal doing just what we do in Europe. Iberia has a hub in Miami.

Lets not forget that Egypt Air went LAX JFK then into the Atlantic.

Plenty of Greg aircraft flying out of ORD in the winter.

I see no UPS birds doing MAN LHR while picking up freight in MAN and dropping the same freight off in LHR.

I am sorry that your country is so tiny and ours is so vast but the facts are we do operating under the same terms.

Cheers
Wino

CR2
31st May 2002, 16:09
Oh boy,
Not this old chestnut again. Please try using the search function. This subject has been flogged to death over the last couple of years.
As I try to do, I'll leave this thread for a day or two. Discuss the subject if you want (yet again) but please keep it civilized or I'll get the Moderator tools out.

JW411
31st May 2002, 20:14
coopervane:

Just in case your navigation is slightly suspect have a look at Aircrew Notices: "Foreign Pilots, etc".

Pipestrelle started an interesting xenophobic thread complete with a poll which I don't think has quite worked out the way he thought it would.

Last time I looked, 64 had responded positively to the question "Should British companies be looking to employ more British piots".

However 39 said "No" and 55 said that "They didn't care". Faced with that sort of result you might be better off trying to push butter up a badger's a***hole with a red-hot needle!

Alternatively, you could apply for an overseas job - I have worked on most continents including the good-old USA.

CR2
3rd Jun 2002, 05:44
As mentioned above, this topic is covered in Aircrew Notices. I'm going to close this one now.