PDA

View Full Version : Seneca III approach question

matcv88
10th Oct 2014, 13:38
Hi all
Quick question as the seneca III has an approach speed for normal landings of 90kts in terms of approach speed class for ifr minimums is it classified as class A <90kts or class B 91-120?

FlyingStone
10th Oct 2014, 16:09
For IFR Approach category, the relevant speed is 1,3 x Vs0 (stall speed in landing configuration). If you don't want to calculate it yourself, you should probably look at short field approach speed - which shouldn't be more than 1,3 x Vs0 anyway.

glendalegoon
10th Oct 2014, 18:57
many years ago similar questions were asked.

the plane is only in ONE catagory based on its speed

BUT IF YOU CHOOSE TO CIRCLE AT A HIGHER SPEED THEN PRUDENCE DICTATES YOU USE A HIGHER APCH CATAGORY/VISIBILITY

27/09
16th Oct 2014, 22:09
As FlyingStone said the Cat speed is basd on Vs0 X 1.3

The Seneca has a stall speed in the landing config (Vs0) of around 62 knots give or take. I don't have a manual handy.

Lets call it 65 knots to be on the safe side. 65 X 1.3 = 84.5 call it 85 knots.

Therefore it is a Cat A aircraft, i.e. it can be flown at speeds that apply to Cat A aircraft and providing you fly it at those speeds the Cat A approach minima apply.

If you elect to fly at higher speeds than the Cat A speeds then you must apply the higher minima for the appropriate category speeds. One aircraft I fly is Cat A, it is much happier about 5 to 10 knots above the max Cat A approach speed so I fly Cat B minima.