PDA

View Full Version : Free/Cheap Training for EU Passport Holders?

Janik
6th Oct 2014, 11:54
Hi,

I am currently studying in Australia but also hold an EU Passport. After completing my PPL (fixed wing) I am beginning to wonder if there is a cheaper option out there in Europe?
Also I was wondering if anyone has any idea if there are government funded or at least subsidised programmes for pilot training in the EU. I know that most EU countries provide free eduction for university degrees, is there anything like that for aviation?

If anyone has any info to share it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Luke SkyToddler
7th Oct 2014, 01:38
Free pilot training, yep, it's right over there with the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

If you're an aussie you "might" be able to get your hands on some New Zealand government student loan funding, although the amount you can borrow got drastically cut a couple of years back. I'm not sure but I did train a couple of aussies on NZ courses back in the day so it's got to be worth investigating. Also training's cheaper in NZ anyway.

Janik
7th Oct 2014, 06:53
I was pretty sure that "free" was a ridiculous concept. I saw that Sweden had a government funded Helicopter Pilot programme for 30 people per year. Was wondering if there is anything like that for fixed wing.

Thanks for your time and info.

mad_jock
7th Oct 2014, 09:05
Not so out of this world some country's still run state funded pilot programs.

But if you aren't a local you have no chance. And they are all tertiary education programs and take 3-4 years to complete.

pilotchute
7th Oct 2014, 12:10
Janik,

You do realise that you can do pilot training in Australia with government funding?

Janik
9th Oct 2014, 04:29
Yes I know about the FEE HELP option. However, he told me that getting a job overseas isn't really possible with the CASA licence. He had to transfer to the EASA licence.

Exiled Martian
9th Oct 2014, 11:21
I know that most EU countries provide free eduction for university degrees, is there anything like that for aviation?

OP I want to thank you for the erratic laughter you managed to induce unintentionally for me this fine lunch-time. I was this close to PM'ing you for a potential reimbursement for a damaged laptop courtesy of your coffee spewing question. Seriously you have a better chance spotting Nessie at the Lochs whilst a Unicorn drinks & grazes near the lake shores in the distant then you do at ascertaining free training time in the sky here in the EU realm :}

Hilarity aside, there seems to be nothing of that sort over here. I too like yourself was looking for this mythical scheme. Sadly closest thing to free pilot training are the likes small bursaries & scholarships (Aside from the RAF) courtesy of websites like GAPAN etc. Good luck having a good browse for such an opportunity though :ok: