PDA

View Full Version : FAA licence or EASA licence

ATPMBA
5th Oct 2014, 13:41
Hello,
What is the status of flying in the EU with a FAA licence. Two years ago there were many articles about that issue but it seems like it got quiet.

Thanks Guy/Gals.

deefer dog
5th Oct 2014, 18:28
Copy and paste Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 | EASA (http://easa.europa.eu/document-library/regulations/regulation-ec-no-2162008)

It will tell you all you need to know.

Max Torque
29th Oct 2014, 17:15
Yep, that's all clear.....well perhaps not so clear ;)
I hold both an FAA and EASA ATPL and that document doesn't answer the original question our American friend asked. If it does, it's actually in a remarkably user-unfriendly way. Not surprising considering who wrote it, but there you go:mad:

I happen to have a passing interest in the question as I'm trying to figure out whether I should bother putting any future TR's on my EASA licence. I contract - and an FAA licence is just as easy to validate to M or VP or whatever. And the FAA TR is forever, unlike EASA which dies after 2 years if no rec.

So let's try a scenario: VQ/VP/VB reg aircraft flown private on an FAA ATPL with a validation; aircraft based in a EU country. Is there eventually going to be a requirement for an EASA ATPL since it's EU based? Disregard the question of crew residency.

Anybody care to venture an opinion or even better a reference?
And preferably one slightly clearer than REGULATION (EC) No 216/2008 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 20 February 2008 ;)

debiassi
30th Oct 2014, 10:00
My understanding was that if an FAA licence holder was domiciled within the EU, then he or she would need to have the equivalent EASA licence.

There has been a lot of ambiguity but since I fell into that category, I had to go through the considerable time and expense to convert.

I havent as yet seen any real advantage to having both FAA ATP and EASA fATPL (If such a thing actually exists) I am informed its actually CPL/IR with ATPL theory pass.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens when the deadline (Now April 2015) finally arrives without the all too familliar push back.

winkwink
30th Oct 2014, 11:17
April twenty sixteen, now.

mad2fly
4th Nov 2014, 20:35
Actually, the way I understand it, the operator must reside in Europe. Therefore if you work for United but are domiciled in Europe you will be fine on your FAA certificate.

I have heard that many counties however, UK included, are choosing to interpret it to include pilots living in Europe despite where the operator is based.

I think they can get away with this through ICAO annex 32 (b)

"Each contracting State reserves the right to refuse to recognize, for the purpose of flight above its own territory, certificates of competency and licenses granted to any of its nationales by another contracting State."

It makes me wonder though, if you are a citizen of a non-European country, ie not a national of a European state, flying for a European based company, does an EASA state have the legal right to refused to recognise your certification?