PDA

View Full Version : How o start/switch to corporate flying

Zephyr1977
4th Oct 2014, 20:36
Hi,

I'm hard working FO in flag carrier with more than 4000 hrs stuck on turbo prop.

I was thinking a lot lately about switching to corporate world. I know its kind of risk in changng from stabile national flag carrier to coroprate world, bit I'm willing to take risk.

I know anyone would fly G5 or falcon7X or Global, but I would be happy to fly something in C 604 of falcon 2000 class.

How to find gig? where to start? I have been sending emails to VJ or TAG, but no respone.. any advice?

Cheers,

Z

dirk85
4th Oct 2014, 23:07
No offence, but with airline turboprop hours only, without connections in business aviation, you are more likely to find a direct entry captain position in Emirates on the 777 rather than on a Falcon 2000 or 604.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

galaxy flyer
4th Oct 2014, 23:23
dirk85 is being generous, you are MUCH more likely to get a DEC B777 spot. Connections are everything, everything. I got hired at my gig (USA) with connections, everyone I've hired had internal recommendations from people well known within the company.

GF

Belowclouds
5th Oct 2014, 05:29
Hard to confim, although not much experienced. Just the continuation of me, hope improved and debugged ( son ) have found very lucretve position in Europe, without any connection, merely from Internet. Maybe exception, don't know, trying to follow him, no responce still. Coincident, good luck...no explanation.

Doodlebug
5th Oct 2014, 12:26
'but I would be happy to fly something in C 604 of falcon 2000 class.'

So would the countless pilots who have been slogging away for years in the corporate world on smaller types like Kingairs, Metroliners, Citations, Learjets, Hawkers etc., etc., building time, experience and a solid reputation in the hopes of eventually stepping UP into the Challengers and Falcons you have apparently casually designated as barely acceptable for you to royally step down into, from the lofty heights of your airline turboprop right-hand seat ;)

Zephyr1977
5th Oct 2014, 12:39
Doodlebug, please don't be offended, maybe I didn't chose right words..
any pilot job is hard working job (from C206 para drop flying up to A380 globe trottering).

i exactly now how feels when you are stuck and waiting something to happen with your carrier in this world where P2F system is well accepted and its killing our profession. i have seen guys that came after me in company, they did P2F package and they fly 737 now.

well, P2F scheme is discussed in other forums i guess..

Doodlebug
5th Oct 2014, 12:54
None taken, Zephyr, just pointing out how some might find your post a bit brash.

Look, GA is a genuine career. Not a fallback when things stagnate in the airline world. Of course you could make the switch, and do well, too. But you'd have to have your heart in it, and commit to it, and understand that machines like the ones you've mentioned cross oceans and put you into South America; China; etc. It is an entirely different kettle of fish to scheduled regional within the EU. Therefore you may find that those in charge would be more receptive to a bit more of a cap-in-hand approach. Take a Citation job, prove yourself, and you'll find yourself moving up in due time. (not that Citation jobs are easy to come by...)

Zephyr1977
5th Oct 2014, 13:04
in this time it's really hard to find non rated corporate wings to fly in EU, unlike USA, where its much easier according to job ads.

what I'm missing in airline flying is that sensation of new airports every other day, route specifics, specific airports, different continents..

anyway, thank you for help.

Propellerpilot
5th Oct 2014, 17:05
If you are not type rated with at least a few hours on type, chances are unfortunatly very slim.

con-pilot
6th Oct 2014, 18:50
what I'm missing in airline flying is that sensation of new airports every other day, route specifics, specific airports, different continents..

I certainly understand your desires, as those were mine as well when I started flying professionally. My greatest desire was to fly internationally in corporate jets which I fulfilled, including flying around the world.

However, before I reached that goal, it took 25 years of my 42 year career of flying turbo-props and light jets in the US domestically, with occasional flights to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, before I could get to a position where I could do true international flying, Europe/Asia, in such aircraft as the 727, Falcon 50/50EX and Falcon 900EX.

What some here are telling you, is that one must 'pay their dues' before expecting to fly such aircraft that you listed that you want to fly. As unless you have an exceptional close contact in the world of corporate aviation, you need to expect years of flying smaller corporate aircraft, including staying flying turbo-props for a while, before you can expect to be flying “G5 or falcon7X or Global” type aircraft.

From reading your posts, I have the impression that you are still young, yes? If so you still have plenty of time left in your career to make the switch from where you are now, into the corporate aviation industry. So start sending out your C.V. to every corporate aircraft operator in Europe and stick with it, keep looking. Try to make contacts with corporate flight crews and become friends, this will help you more than any C.V. will, just as Galaxy Flyer posted.

I wish the best of luck to you, but remember that you will start on the bottom and be expected to work your way up.