PDA

View Full Version : UK Airports - Airside Vehicles

GroundSAR
3rd Oct 2014, 10:39
I was amazed to read that there are over 7500 vehicles airside at heathrow...who knew!?!

Link (http://www.heathrowairport.com/about-us/community-and-environment/responsible-heathrow/case-studies/low-emissions-vehicles)

Anyway this got me thinking - how many vehicles are there airside at the other major UK airports....I've had a look around on the interweb but can't find any information readily available.

Does anyonew have any insight?

Thanks

GroundSAR

Dockwell
3rd Oct 2014, 10:50
There maybe 7500 registered vehicles able to access airside however there are not anywhere near 7500 aurthorised parking spaces airside ! nice little earner for the BAA enforcers as the vehicles not parked in a bonified space get parking tickets overnight !! £35 a pop last I heard !

mixture
3rd Oct 2014, 15:00
£35 a pop last I heard !

£35 for secure overnight parking in London ?

Bargain !

Dockwell
3rd Oct 2014, 15:23
Being close to Stanwell, Feltham and Hounslow, you need that level of secure parking :rolleyes:

WHBM
6th Oct 2014, 12:23
Surely it's that number of vehicles with airside permits. By no means all there at once.

If the vehicle is permanently airside (generally spotted by no normal numberplate) it's a lot cheaper to run, no tax, no MOT, use red (untaxed) diesel.

Dockwell
7th Oct 2014, 15:50
airside only vehicles are limited to electric tugs, belt loaders, high lifters and push back tugs, everything else, vans, cargo trucks, catering trucks and anything else you can think of has an MOT, number plate has tax and doesn't run on red diesel ! they are also subject to the same road laws that on airport that we have to abide with outside the airport with points on license etc, Vehicles cannot be over 10 years old unless specially modified for a specific job. Gives you an idea as to why Airlines don't self handle anymore !! its far to expensive..lol

750XL
7th Oct 2014, 16:18
airside only vehicles are limited to electric tugs, belt loaders, high lifters and push back tugs, everything else, vans, cargo trucks, catering trucks and anything else you can think of has an MOT, number plate has tax and doesn't run on red diesel ! they are also subject to the same road laws that on airport that we have to abide with outside the airport with points on license etc, Vehicles cannot be over 10 years old unless specially modified for a specific job. Gives you an idea as to why Airlines don't self handle anymore !! its far to expensive..lol

Here oop norf you can stick anything airside as long as it's had a CAP 790 inspection by the airport authorities and permit granted. There's a ton of 'normal' vehicles airside here that aren't taxed, MOT'd or insured for normal road use, and run on red diesel (includes but not limited to normal cars, minibuses, vans, buses, coaches etc)

justmaybe
7th Oct 2014, 19:05
And insurance to operate Airside? Very prohibitive cost wise!! Normal road insurance won't do.

WHBM
8th Oct 2014, 16:41
Cobus airside transfer buses must also be confined to airside because they are non-compliant (too wide) to be licenced on the road. There are doubtless other items as well.

Vehicles cannot be over 10 years old
Maybe they can apply that to aircraft as well :)

mixture
8th Oct 2014, 17:55
And insurance to operate Airside? Very prohibitive cost wise!! Normal road insurance won't do.

Probably not as expensive as you think.... couple of hundred quid a year maybe, and if you run a fleet you'll just have a pooled policy that automatically covers anything with your name on it which will tend to work out even cheaper.

Public Liability insurance, which is basically what it is, is one of the cheapest things you can buy in terms of bang for your buck (i.e. you can buy many millions worth of coverage for relatively little cash because they know there's relatively little prospect of you making a claim anywhere near the upper-limit of the policy).

The only thing cheaper than Public Liability is Employers Liability Insurance.... but that's because the latter is compulsory for all businesses, so they've got more buyers to spread the cost over.