PDA

View Full Version : Expletive deleted Wi-Fi!!

Cornish Jack
2nd Oct 2014, 13:24
And again, wi-fi problems.
HP 4600 XW workstation, 8Gb RAM, 64 bit etc., W7, blah, blah.
Option of two routers D-Link G624T or PlusNet issued Technicolour??
Panasonic Blu-Ray player to feed Panasonic TV, wired or Wi-Fi. D-Link works on either input but constantly drops out on Internet computer use. PlusNet is rock-steady on internet but fails to give internet on either wired or Wi-Fi for the Blu-Ray, inspite of showing excellent connectivity. Not the end of the world but does anyone have any suggestions as to why, please?
TIA

Mike-Bracknell
6th Oct 2014, 21:30
The short answer - both are sh1te and I would never EVER build a network with either.

mixture
6th Oct 2014, 22:47
The short answer - both are sh1te and I would never EVER build a network with either.

I concur with what that bloke from Bracknell said.

Booglebox
7th Oct 2014, 20:51
Firstly, as a fellow HP XW workstation owner, have a virtual fist-bump :8
I would put your PlusNet issued box into "modem mode" or "bridge mode" and plug it only into a proper router. Friends of mine swear by Mikrotik, and I've had good experiences with Zyxel Zywall and Draytek Vigor products.

Cornish Jack
9th Oct 2014, 22:16
Thanks chaps - for a while there I thought it might be the only zero reply thread on PPrune!!
Undoubtedly excellent assessments re. routers but we wrinklies generally have to make do with what we have.:( The query was really more about the 'why' rather than the 'how' ... probably wouldn't have understood the answer anyway.:O

Saab Dastard
10th Oct 2014, 17:50
Have you tried setting up the Panasonic Blu-Ray player with a fixed IP address rather than relying on DHCP?

Always use wired connection where available in preference to wireless.

SD

Mike-Bracknell
10th Oct 2014, 22:51
Thanks chaps - for a while there I thought it might be the only zero reply thread on PPrune!!
Undoubtedly excellent assessments re. routers but we wrinklies generally have to make do with what we have.:( The query was really more about the 'why' rather than the 'how' ... probably wouldn't have understood the answer anyway.:O

Pull the other one - you wrinklies are generally the only ones with disposable income these days anyway ;)

Anyhow, I would do what Booglebox suggested. However i'm both a ZyXel and Draytek reseller and whilst both are fine routers in their own right, i'm personally a big fan of the Shibby builds of Tomato (Tomato by Shibby » Alternatywne oprogramowamie na routery (http://tomato.groov.pl))

I'd therefore suggest you put the Technicolor device in modem mode (RFC2684 is usually what it's called) and go out and buy yourself an Asus RT-N16 router, download the latest Tomato release (plus download the Asus firmware updater) and convert the Asus router into a Tomato router. It's incredibly easy, and very powerful and reliable once you have it. Plus the routers can be had for about £60 (and if you want even more reliability, buy yourself a Draytek Vigor 120 modem to replace the Technicolor, as it comes pre-configured in RFC2684 mode so there's no buggering around with that).

Cornish Jack
11th Oct 2014, 11:13
Thanks SD - will have a look at 'how-tos' for that, although understanding how two similarly intentioned devices can act entirely oppositely would be nice!:(
M-B ... Ummm, yes, I think - but slightly OTT for being able to watch Youtube's aviation content on the big Panasonic screen rather than the pooter monitor.:hmm:
Probably better to ignore Youtube and go and mangle metal on the Myford, once the house and workshop are rebuilt!:{