PDA

View Full Version : Cargolux 747-8 Delivery Flight Wing Wave

RobertS975
1st Oct 2014, 19:30
Delivery flight for a Cargolux 747-8 that departed Boeing Field (BFI) on September 30... a hearty good-bye wave to say the least. How dangerous (or not) was this maneuver? Aircraft presumably empty except for fuel load on this delivery flight. I am a pilot, small aircraft, commercial land and sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBr3enzW1I

Correction: Paine Field in Everett, not Boeing Field

Naali
1st Oct 2014, 19:45
An empty 747,would be anyone,s dream. Have no fear to see that,because it very probably out-flies anything that You find on the ramp. So no worry. ps. as a pilot, You might understand, why we never get old.

Gemini Twin
1st Oct 2014, 19:54
Danger level - Low to Zero.

HURZ
1st Oct 2014, 19:56
Naali,
i think you have no idea! I fly this machine, both 400 and -8. This was a close call getting out of control. I hope the FAA/NTSB will have a lock into this reckless and dangerous stunt pulled by CV management pilots.
This is just unacceptable.
rgds

captplaystation
1st Oct 2014, 20:08
Caveat, no 748 time, but. . . judging by the excess climb performance they appeared to have available to them, I don't see that any Boeings were likely to be harmed in this performance.

If they weren't management, I hope their management are more open minded than the Freemasons from Cathay. I understand the "lodge" didn't like this (probably jealous because any "skills" they once possessed were 3 squadrons ago )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ijLu2HzvI

lomapaseo
1st Oct 2014, 20:12
Reminds me of the B52 crash. I have no problem with what is planned and approved before hand.

expat400
1st Oct 2014, 20:13
HURZ

Love your irony but beware, some people might think you are serious..

Naali
1st Oct 2014, 20:13
Sorry,HURTZ. never watched the video,-was just trying to calm down,perhaps some kind of a wave-down. I,ll watch the video right now. thank You for reminding me. Ps. i gathered my hours mostly,"at icy altitudes"-as Mitchell,s song goes. never bothered to count them after ten.

Naali
1st Oct 2014, 20:23
Some may know better,but to me,looks like an energy management made just for the fun of it.

captplaystation
1st Oct 2014, 20:31
Or, to put it another way. . . "getting real" (I am flying this, I am going to check, and you are going to observe, that A- I am, and B- I am capable of. . .doing so)

Maybe more of this "wrong stuff" would have saved AF447 & some others. . .

It's what we used to do :ok: but now := the result :eek:

Airbubba
1st Oct 2014, 20:46
This amateur 'stunt pilot' stuff can sure get you fired these days, for example:

Top British pilot fired for performing 320mph 'fly-by' just 28 feet from the ground - in a jumbo full of VIPs | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-518448/Top-British-pilot-fired-performing-320mph-fly-just-28-feet-ground--jumbo-VIPs.html)

I believe the Cathay flight and the one yesterday departed Paine Field, KPAE not Boeing Field, KBFI, they both have large Boeing facilities.

The B-748 wing rock right after liftoff is not a normal maneuver and should at the very least get a letter from the feds I would think. Or maybe the Bud Holland Memorial Airshow Award.

tdracer
1st Oct 2014, 21:47
I can confirm, that is most definitely Paine Field in the video, not Boeing Field.

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2014, 09:11
Negative comments only come the uninformed or those who may envy a guy who can actually fly an aeroplane (airplane for the yanks)!

HURZ
4th Oct 2014, 13:32
Hello Mods!
Why was the video and discussion about the (dangerous?!, see youtube) Cargolux Wing Swing removed?
Thanks for clarification.

Airbubba
4th Oct 2014, 13:38
Negative comments only come the uninformed or those who may envy a guy who can actually fly an aeroplane (airplane for the yanks)!

Wow, are you a real pilot? Oh, I'm so envious! :D

TWT
4th Oct 2014, 13:49
Was it ?

http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour/548581-interestingdhy.html

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2014, 13:53
Not removed but moved to the spotters forum - where it belonged in the first place.

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2014, 14:00
Touchy touchy Airbubba, but expected from you :D

Airbubba
4th Oct 2014, 14:04
Anyway, this wacky maneuver has been picked up by the local Luxembourg media and may generate derivative items elsewhere in the international news cycle:

Luxemburger Wort - Flugzeug im Elchtest (http://www.wort.lu/de/business/wie-riskant-war-der-wing-wave-flugzeug-im-elchtest-542e7a06b9b39887080708d0)

I've picked up planes from both Paine and Boeing Fields in years past. I guess somehow the adolescent urge to show off never crossed my mind. I was more concerned that the pages of maintenance sign offs were correct.

Maybe I'm not a 'real' pilot like Lt. Col. Bud Holland. :{

FERetd
4th Oct 2014, 17:08
Still at it then, Hotel Tango.

" Not removed but moved to the spotters forum - where it belonged in the first place"

I thought that the item was newsworthy.

Perhaps you could become a "moderator auxiliary"?

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2014, 17:18
No, just stating a fact. Nothing more.

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2014, 17:30
To compare this manoeuvre with the B52 crash is simply ridiculous.

FERetd
4th Oct 2014, 18:15
Hotel Tango, you are quite fond of stating "facts", why can't you just leave it to the moderators instead of interfering?

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2014, 18:37
FERetd, the OP asked a question and I answered it. You are taking it to a personal level without any justification. The moderators, as they often mention themselves, do not have the time to answer "why has such and such a post been deleted" etc. Nine times out of ten the said post hasn't been deleted but simply been moved to the appropriate forum as deemed by the moderators (not me). I simply answered HURZ's question. Why you have to make such an issue of it is beyond me.

captplaystation
4th Oct 2014, 18:50
Sucking noises in the background. . . . . . I beg to differ, most of the discussion didn't relate to "Oh what Reggie was it spotting" "Ooo my first 748 this month" . . . I believe the discussion (although a lot it was somewhat puerile) revolved around "was it dangerous" ? . . . surely more akin to a flight deck topic than "Spotters". . .but, continue to kiss @ss, I am sure your support is welcome ;)

There was another thread too http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/548590-cargolux-747-8-delivery-flight-wing-wave.html

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2014, 19:20
I beg to differ, most of the discussion didn't relate to "Oh what Reggie was it spotting" "Ooo my first 748 this month"

I understand your point captplaystation but, from what I began to understand after several years on PPRuNe, that's not entirely how the moderators view Spotters Corner. There are plenty of people in and out of aviation who are plane spotters without having anything to do with collecting reggies etc. Indeed, over here on the continent a plane spotter is not regarded as a reggie collector (very few partake in that activity over here) or an anorak. It simply translates as one who is interested in aviation or aircraft in or outside their profession. Many pilots are such plane spotters.

Me kiss @ss, now you ARE joking!

FERetd
4th Oct 2014, 19:21
Because Hotel Tango, you are very fond of telling people what to do and that is not your remit on this forum.

That you informed the OP that the post had been moved to Spotters Forum was most helpful, but your barbed comment of "where it belonged in the first place" was not necessary.

If only you had just answered HURZ's question.

captplaystation
4th Oct 2014, 20:13
OK, got the difference between the UK Reginald S Potter & an EU aviation "enthusiast" (kind of, informed anorak ? ) but I still think the discussion was more "Flight Deck" related.

I can totally equate to your point about certain "sensitive subjects" being relocated to spottie corner, surprised this was adjudged to be one however.

Sometimes, "moderation" is a little difficult to fathom. . . . . . (without even mentioning Ryanair + the "unmentionable" company with lots of sand available. )

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2014, 23:01
FERetd, if only you could see just how hypocritical your last post was. Anyway this will probably soon get deleted by the mods as it is neither news nor rumours. See you in the next round :)

Stu666
5th Oct 2014, 08:33
Well, that is certainly one way of checking if the ailerons work! :ok:

Airbubba
5th Oct 2014, 14:23
This was an eleven minute flight PAE to SEA:

Cargolux Airlines International (CV) #789 ? 30-Sep-2014 ? KPAE - KSEA ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CLX789/history/20140930/1900Z/KPAE/KSEA)

Listening to the tower tapes on liveatc.net, there was no comment on the airshow and CV789 was switched to SEA departure frequency.

A news item says there were three crewmembers and four additional company employees on board:

L'essentiel Online - L envol «fou» d un avion Cargolux crée l émoi - Luxembourg (http://www.lessentiel.lu/fr/news/luxembourg/story/15188610)

Here's the Cargolux press release on the subsequent delivery flight SEA-LUX:

Cargolux accepts its 11th 747-8F

Luxembourg, 1st October 2014

The airline invests into a modern air bridge between China and Europe

Cargolux Airlines International S.A. today welcomed its 11th Boeing 747-8 freighter from Boeing. The latest addition to the airline‟s growing 747-8F fleet is registered LX-VCJ and named „City of Zhengzhou‟ in honor of Cargolux‟s partnership with its Chinese shareholder HNCA and its recently established Chinese hub in Zhengzhou.

"Our new „City of Zhengzhou‟ will help us to strengthen our services between Luxembourg and the province of Henan," says Dirk Reich, Cargolux President & CEO. "In addition to the economic, operational and environmental advantages that the aircraft brings, we can also boost our traffic and revenues in cooperation with our Chinese partners, while customers benefit from the efficient and fast services we can offer." Cargolux plans to increase its 747-8F flights between Luxembourg and Zhengzhou to multiple daily connections.

With its 11th 747-8F in service, Cargolux operates the most modern freighter fleet in Western Europe and one of the youngest fleets worldwide with an average age of 5.6 years.

Cargolux was the launch customer and first operator of the Boeing 747-8F. The company has another 3 aircraft on order and also operates 11 747-400 freighters.

FERetd
5th Oct 2014, 14:35
HT, only if you keep on playing Forum Policeman.

Airbubba
9th Oct 2014, 17:18
The Daily Mail describes the departure as a 'highly skilled stunt':

Boeing 747-8F pilot's 'wing wave' manoeuvre seconds after take-off in highly skilled stunt | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2783901/Captain-dramatically-dips-wings-just-seconds-highly-skilled-stunt.html)