PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Wing Demonstration Model

brokenlink
1st Oct 2014, 15:19
Looking for a little help/advice here please. Trying to obtain one of those Fixed Wing Demonstration Model aircraft (with moving control services etc) as a training aid for some Air Cadets. There is one available from a very well know supplier but the price seems a tad steep. Have tried searching online for alternatives with no luck so wondered if anyone knew of an alternative source or even if I can get a set of plans I can give to a carpenter?

Many thanks,

BL

ariel
1st Oct 2014, 16:40
Hi
If it's the Pooleys red one that retails for around £180 - £200, I have one in perfect condition for sale for £80

Genghis the Engineer
1st Oct 2014, 22:25
Or set designing and building one as a project for the cadets?

G

brokenlink
10th Oct 2014, 13:56
Genghis hi,
Its a good idea to get the cadets to design and make one but as we currently dont have a usable workshop facility we would struggle a tad. Still looking for plans or a model, just missed the one Aeriel had on offer.
Have a good weekend all.

BL.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Oct 2014, 17:15
I think that you're underestimating their ingenuity !

Better still, have several groups doing it, hand-tools and glue only, and make it a competition for the best one, with a prize. Any prize you offer, is bound to be far cheaper than the Pooleys model new!

G

Duchess_Driver
12th Oct 2014, 08:46
Indeed, I looked into this a few years back. All parts were commercially available from your 'ye olde model shoppe'. IIRC all could be had (wood and all) for about £28.00 (with spares!)

Problem (from my point of view) was the time to fashion the fuselage etc rather than assemble said components.

DD

FlyIneu
23rd Nov 2014, 11:55
Does anyone have one of these pooleys aircraft that they could take some photographs of how all the linkages are setup and the bottom of the aircraft, I think I have a solution to getting some manufactured in Eastern Europe and should be able to sell them for around half of there current price. Any help would be much appreciated, measurements would also be good.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Nov 2014, 17:54
I'm sure many of us do, but I'm not sure my conscience wants to be troubled with kicking off an intellectual property battle that'll only make lawyers richer, and the already cash-strapped UK GA community poorer.

Any halfway competent design draftsman could design a new one for you in a day anyhow.

G

brokenlink
23rd Nov 2014, 20:25
Its taken a little bit of asking around but a friend of mine has agreed to have a stab at designing one from scratch that hopefully I can ask the cadets parent station to run some copies off for other local cadet squadrons.

18greens
30th Nov 2014, 22:54
Surely the cadets could knock one up out of cardboard , match sticks and the good old string.

As ghengis said you underestimate their ingenuity. It's a great competition for them.

I dare say I could imagine how it would be done. It
would not be pretty but it would do the job.

Challenge 2: make it fly ( elastic bands will be needed in addition to the above)