PDA

View Full Version : Lovely old bi-plane over London

SpringHeeledJack
1st Oct 2014, 12:45
I thought my eyes were deceiving me just now when I heard a lovely sound and looked up and saw a De Havilland DH-82/88/89 ???, silver with a military roundel doing an orbit over central London. Anyone know the what and why ?

SHJ

joy ride
1st Oct 2014, 13:11
It is one owned by Classic Wings * at Duxford and does regular pleasure flights to various locations including London. I think this silver one is a Dominie and I only started seeing it about a week ago. Mostly it does the London route (from about April till October) on weekends, but occasional forays during the week.

They pass right over my yard, I recognise the sound of Frank Halford's fine engines long before the Rapide/Dominie is visible, gentle but powerful. I never get bored of putting down tools to run out and take a look.

Pretty sure it used to be Air Atlantique and changed to Classic Wings, but could be the other way round!

Planemike
1st Oct 2014, 13:25
Pretty sure it used to be Air Atlantique and changed to Classic Wings, but could be the other way round!

Two separate operations; Air Atlantique out of Baginton (Coventry, if you insist!!)/Newquay, Classic Wings out of Duxford.

Both operate deH 89As on pleasure flights.

SpringHeeledJack
1st Oct 2014, 13:50
Aha! I knew that there were the red and blue Rapides (?) that did sightseeing trips at the weekend, but not that they did the odd one during the week or that there was another example doing them. Lovely sound and lovely looking elegant aircraft of yesteryear :ok:

SHJ

treadigraph
1st Oct 2014, 14:05
Ah, a proper way to get airborne. Who remembers Mike Hood's Southern Joyrides operation out of Biggin in the 1970s/1980s with G-AIDL?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Oct 2014, 14:43
I first saw G-AIDL at Halfpenny Green in July 1965 and it took part in the 50th Anniversary fly-by at Heathrow in June 1996. Great aeroplane.

JEM60
1st Oct 2014, 20:02
Flew in it some years ago, and sent my wife and grand-daughter flying in it at Duxford last year. They loved it My first flight was in a Rapide at RAF Halton open day. The future cost me a shed load of money.................:{