PDA

View Full Version : Windows 9.... err, no

jimtherev
1st Oct 2014, 08:31
Seems that h'eight has such a bad rep that Redmond have decided that the next iteration shall be called Windows 10. Due for release next year... or the year after that ... or...

Windows 10 is the official name for Microsoft's next version of Windows | The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6868695/microsoft-windows-10-announced-official)

Capetonian
1st Oct 2014, 08:49
My IT friend refers to the current version on Windows as Windows Hate.

Hopefully 10 will be an improvement.

seacue
1st Oct 2014, 09:39
OS X (OS 10) is good enough for Apple,

Wiki says "The letter X in OS X's name refers to the number 10, a Roman numeral. It is therefore correctly pronounced "ten" /ˈtɛn/ in this context."

Windows 10 (Windows X) ought to be good enough for Microsoft.

Booglebox
1st Oct 2014, 11:13
I am very pleased that they are doing the right thing and addressing the Win 7 diehards (myself included). :cool:
But let's see how effectively they squash all the W8 crap i.e. Metro-style network panel, Charms (:yuk:), etc...

mixture
1st Oct 2014, 13:10
OS X (OS 10) is good enough for Apple,

Well yes, but Apple can count....

They went through all the iterations up to 10 ... so OS X correctly earnt the right to call itself 10.

Windows 10 (Windows X) ought to be good enough for Microsoft.

Well...

(a) What was wrong with 9
(b) They'll have an awful lot of plagiarising to do if they think Windows X will be as good as OS X !

Maybe 9 was scared because it knew what was coming .... 7 "ate" 9 .... :cool:

BEagle
1st Oct 2014, 15:24
But would Windows 'X' be as good as Windows 'X.....P'?

Still used by around 24% of desktop PCs, whereas the figure for that p.o.s. Windows 8 / 8.1 is a mere 13%....:rolleyes:

mixture
1st Oct 2014, 15:35
But would Windows 'X' be as good as Windows 'X.....P'?

It will be a million times more secure for a start !

OFSO
1st Oct 2014, 18:43
Just reading my computer magazine on-line:

MS say XP users holding steady at 26%, WIN-7 users increasing slightly at 57.3%, WIN-8 users falling sharply.....

vulcanised
1st Oct 2014, 19:36
Some retailers appear to be panicking over stocks with W8 installed and which nobody will buy.

Offers around half of retail might be good bargains to wipe the HDD and install something decent.

jimtherev
1st Oct 2014, 22:03
... and quite a few refurbishers still selling XP machines to unsuspecting public.

mixture
2nd Oct 2014, 06:43
... and quite a few refurbishers still selling XP machines.....

Evil scum is what I would describe them as. :mad:

KBPsen
2nd Oct 2014, 11:41
Apparently Windows 8 users will get a free upgrade to Windows 10.

BEagle
2nd Oct 2014, 13:30
KBPsen wrote: Apparently Windows 8 users will get a free upgrade to Windows 10.

Oh I can just see that working seamlessly......:rolleyes:

Perhaps they'll listen to peoples' complaints a bit more seriously now?

Dear M$, I have no interest in 'snapping apps' (whatever that kiddy-speak is supposed to mean), but I would like to have Outlook Express and Windows Photo Editor back - and for Office 2015(?) to be rather more like 2007 than 2013!

goudie
2nd Oct 2014, 14:17
Earlier on this year I bought a ASUS notebook with Win8.1
My user needs are fairly basic, just e-mails. banking, BBC, newspapers and general browsing. I found some of the apps useful and I've never had any problems. So why is Win8.1 so unpopular, am I missing something? My previous OS was Win7

Booglebox
2nd Oct 2014, 14:35
BEagle, have you tried Windows Live Essentials 2012? it has Mail and Photo programs, might be of interest.

le Pingouin
4th Oct 2014, 17:07
goudie, a lot of users found the Metro/Modern interface intrusive, far from intuitive and cumbersome to use on a non-touch device. It gets in the way. It offers too few improvements for desktop users to induce them to spend the time needed to learn - they don't like it and see no reason to adapt.

Personally I don't think it's that bad but find the Metro/Modern stuff fairly pointless and irritating on a non-touch device and install Classic Shell to make it more usable.

cdtaylor_nats
4th Oct 2014, 21:28
It has been reported that a lot of third party code used "Windows 9" to identify Win 95 and 98. It was easier to use Windows 10 instead of disabling a huge amount of software.

goudie
14th Oct 2014, 19:23
le Pingouin

thank you:ok:

PowerDragTrim
14th Oct 2014, 21:19
Why not download and try it!
Suggest you install on a spare, empty HDD as the Tech Preview is still very much in 'beta' mode.
Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise | TechNet Evaluation Center (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-technical-preview-for-enterprise)

vulcanised
14th Oct 2014, 21:22
Have they released a Service Pack yet?

jackieofalltrades
15th Oct 2014, 00:23
I liked Windows Vista. Still use it on my desktop. My laptop that was running 7 was fine by me, until the hard drive failed. Bought a replacement and it came with Windows 8. I hate it. Am looking forward to Windows 10, and like the idea that it will be a free upgrade for Windows 8 users. (if that is indeed true)