PDA

View Full Version : Confused in-frequent flyer

ANDYSPPR
29th Sep 2014, 19:21
Hope this is in the right area. Forgive me if it is not.

I am not a regular flyer but next week I am going further then I have ever been! I am flying Manchester - Dusseldorf - Frankfurt - Accra on Germanwings and Lufthansa. I have a number of questions if anyone can help:-

1. When I check in in Manchester is this the only time I need to check in or do I have to do this at every airport for the three flights?

2. I assume my bags will follow me and I will not have to pick them up?

3. What do I do at Dusseldorf / Frankfurt? Is there a dedicated transit area where I go?

Can anyone help calm my nerves? Any help very gratefully received.

Andy S

mixture
29th Sep 2014, 19:53
1. When I check in in Manchester is this the only time I need to check in or do I have to do this at every airport for the three flights?

You can probably check-in online for everything and print out boarding passes.

2. I assume my bags will follow me and I will not have to pick them up?

Unfortunately it is highly likely that you will have to pick up your bags. This is because it is unlikely that Germanwings and Lufthansa have an inter-carrier agreement.

However if Manchester -> Dusseldorf -> Frankfurt is on Germanwings then at least your bags should be able to magically transfer for the first 2/3rds of your trip !

3. What do I do at Dusseldorf / Frankfurt? Is there a dedicated transit area where I go?

I've never flown to Dusseldorf. But Frankfurt airport is GIGANTIC, so you may well find you'll have to change terminals (or at least be ready to walk a very, very long way within the same terminal !).

Edit to add:

- The internet suggests Germanwings is terminal 2, and Lufthansa is terminal 1 at Frankfurt, but because you will likely have to pick up your bags at the point you switch from Germanwings to Lufthansa, you'll just need to follow the normal process for leaving any airport (i.e. show your passport, pick up bags, go through customs....)

- Actually, I may be wrong...this document.... https://files.lufthansaexperts.com/lh.php?4041.86153.5c5cae ... appears to say :
Currently, Germanwings has interline agreements with LH, OS, LX, SN as well as UA and AC. Coupons from other airlines’ documents that are affected by a rebooking on to 4U will be amended centrally by LH on an LH document.

I would therefore make it clear to the Germanwings checkin at Manchester what the full extent of your itinerary is and explicitly ask them to check your bags through (since the check-in desk person may just be on "autopilot" and only check through your bags half way).

PAXboy
29th Sep 2014, 19:58
One of the key aspects is: Have you booked to Accra - all on one ticket? Was this issued by a single airline/travel agent?

That holds the clues to most of your questions! So just state how you bought the ticket and further answers may be forthcoming. :)

ANDYSPPR
29th Sep 2014, 20:06
Thanks for your replies.

I booked via Bravofly all in one go.

I fly Germanwings MAN - DUS, then Lufthansa Cityline DUS - FRA and finally Lufthansa FRA - Accra.

At FRA I should arrive and depart from T1.

Does this change anything?

Andy S

ExXB
30th Sep 2014, 11:31
GermanWings is owned by LH, and is taking over many of LH's non-core routes.

A Google suggests they do have interline Baggage Agreements with LH and other Star airlines.

So in a perfect world you will be able to check your bags through to Accra, you might ask them to confirm at the baggage drop. Your claim check should have ACC on it. Your bag will end up at the last airport mentioned, so if it's only got DUS or FRA on it, that's where to get your bag and recheck it.

You should also be issued 3 boarding cards for your three flights. I think you will need to clear German Immigration at DUS, ie on entering the Schengen area. You may have security before your flight to FRA. On arrival at FRA you will need to 'depart' the Schengen area, ie German immigration, before you can make your way to your next gate. You might have another security check.

Everything is well posted but be prepared to queue.

ANDYSPPR
30th Sep 2014, 17:45
Thanks everyone for your info. I will see what happens next week.

Andy S