PDA

View Full Version : SATA to USB?

tony draper
29th Sep 2014, 16:01
Bought one of those Sata to USB enclosures tother day, magic bit of kit,got a pile of old hard disks bung em in and copy stuff across to my new hard disk without a lot of fannying about,question one of the H Ds eventually gave up the ghost and would not let me in I get the screen message,This disk needs formatting before it can be used,could I format this disk from my puter via the USB link.
It's probably a perfectly good 500 gig disk.
Thanks in advance
:)

jimtherev
29th Sep 2014, 22:00
I have done it with XP, Tony, but never tried since I moved up to '7. Why not try?
And just another thought... I was surprised when I got me new box a couple of weeks ago that it has an eSATA connection out the back. Even quicker than USB... Did you build one of these into your latest iteration of superputer?

Mike-Bracknell
29th Sep 2014, 22:14
It's likely that if it's requesting you format the drive it's knackered. Anyway, it's perfectly possible to format the disk via USB

tony draper
30th Sep 2014, 10:01
I'm ashamed to say I'm using a store bought spare puter at the mo,the Draper home made super puter is in a thousand bits awaiting me being harrased to fettle it, summats wrong wi it,either the motherboard the CPU the memory or the graphic card,the case and the power supply are ok though.
Anyway will try the format thing,only a old hard disk dont matter if it knacks it.:)

Capn Bloggs
30th Sep 2014, 13:35
And just another thought... I was surprised when I got me new box a couple of weeks ago that it has an eSATA connection out the back. Even quicker than USB...
Forget e-sata, USB 3 is the way to go. :ok:

tony draper
1st Oct 2014, 17:54
Right chaps managed to format that disk no probs via USB,interestingly plugged it into the USB HD port on the back of me posh new smart telly and it works fine so for about twenty quid for a SATA to USB Enclosure and a owld Hard Disk I can record progs direct from me telly, lot cheaper than buying a dedicated external Hard Disk for the purpose,just a pottering about exercise as I already have a HUMAX HD hard disk recorder that can record two progs in full 1080p simultaniously
:)

vulcanised
1st Oct 2014, 19:42
Do you not need some sort of OS on that HD to record off the TV?

I also have a Humax recorder which is nice kit with one big failing for me - the edit function is near useless in that it thinks for a second or two about every instruction before carrying it out.

Not what you want when editing!