172sp
27th Sep 2014, 06:13
http://i61.tinypic.com/9uaqtx.png

cpahka
27th Sep 2014, 06:53
dirty fuel again?

Yonosoy Marinero
27th Sep 2014, 13:11
Approaching LIMES now, inbound from MNL, where it apparently diverted.

A busy day in the office for the boys it seems.

Other_Flying_Object
27th Sep 2014, 23:15
Its been an exciting few days....

What about CX162 the other day? The FO apparently got sick at the hold point, poor bloke!

stevieboy330
2nd Oct 2014, 03:02
Hot brakes in the cruise, wheel well fire suspected.

A good example of a "textbook" in flight emergency, appropriately diverted to the nearest suitable airport.
Yet another example of two highly capable, professional, CX Pilots doing what CX Pilots do routinely. You get what you pay for people. Sadly most of these incidents never make the papers because the Pilots do such a good job.

CISTRS
2nd Oct 2014, 03:14
Sadly most of these incidents never make the papersWhy should the news make the papers?
The crew were only complying with their contracts.

Buckshot
2nd Oct 2014, 22:22
A Cathay Pacific Airbus A330-300, registration B-HLT performing flight CX-780 from Surabaya (Indonesia) to Hong Kong (China), was enroute at FL380 over the South China Sea about 300nm northwest of Manila (Philippines) when the crew received a hot brakes indication and suspected a wheel well fire. The aircraft descended to FL100, the gear was extended and the aircraft diverted to Manila for a safe landing about one hour later.

The airline reported the aircraft diverted to Manila "due to emergency maintenance".

The aircraft was able to continue the flight to Hong Kong after about 5:15 hours on the ground and reached Hong Kong with a delay of 7 hours.

Incident: Cathay A333 near Manila on Sep 27th 2014, hot brakes enroute (http://avherald.com/h?article=47b31b41&opt=0)

poonpossum
3rd Oct 2014, 01:11
How does something like this happen?

Flying Clog
3rd Oct 2014, 02:08
If you don't know that, you're a journo, so clear off.

CXtreme
3rd Oct 2014, 02:57
Highest level of professionalism by the department with the lowest pay rise.

CISTRS
3rd Oct 2014, 03:48
Highest level of professionalism by the department with the lowest pay rise. Agreed. It was the correct response to a systems problem.
What has airmanship to do with pay rises?

Airmanship is perhaps the only remaining reason for choosing CX.

Hugo Peroni the IV
3rd Oct 2014, 03:48
Poonpossum,

It's quite simply explained really.

If you have been flying for a few hours with the landing gear retracted and suddenly, when the temperatures around the brakes are about -40C, there is an indication of heat, there are two potential causes. It's either a fire in the wheel-well (lots of electrical circuits, hydraulic systems at high pressure etc down there) or it's a faulty brake temperature sensor.

With no way of telling for sure......what would you do with Manila as the nearest airport?

NIPPI 2000
3rd Oct 2014, 04:28
Well, if only one brake showed high temp and the remaining 3 of the same gear are at normal, coolish temp (not that on an Airbus the brakes are ever cool :}), I would put my money on sensor fault. But yeah, safety first of course, so good job.

Yonosoy Marinero
3rd Oct 2014, 04:42
The guys on the 'bus always get to have all the fun...

:}

BuzzBox
3rd Oct 2014, 05:06
Well, if only one brake showed high temp and the remaining 3 of the same gear are at normal, coolish temp

My understanding is that the indications were the #7 brake temp rising rapidly, followed shortly thereafter by the #8...

Hugo Peroni the IV
3rd Oct 2014, 05:57
Nippi probably would have flown to Hong Kong! Which airline do you fly for, just so I know who to avoid.

NIPPI 2000
3rd Oct 2014, 07:08
????

Hugo, which part of my comment "safety first", didn't you understand? :yuk:

I will spell it slowly for you: I would have diverted but at the same time I would calmed myself that I am probably and hopefully not on fire one only one sensor is showing a high temperature.

@BuzzBox: a second brake temperature indication going up, would have really started to worry me.

So, I say again: good job.