PDA

View Full Version : Prize Offered for Technical Solution

Dave Jackson
28th May 2002, 22:32
The grand sum of $49.98, less amusement tax, is offered to the first person who comes up with a practical solution to the following very simple rotorcraft problem.

The Problem ~ Rotor to Rotor Vibration:
How to eliminate the rotor to rotor induced vibration, in helicopters with overlapping twin-rotors by somehow temporarily increasing the pitch [and thereby maintain a consistent angle of attack] on the blade (or its individual elements) as it (they) passes through the downwash from an upper blade and through the downdraft from a lower blade.

The Solution
How to get rid of the problem.

Contest Conditions:
1/ For reasons of economy, and cheapness, the prize is in Canadian dollars; 'cause they're half way between a US dollar and a Monopoly dollar.
2/ No more than 20 submissions per person.
3/ Second prize is $49.98, in Monopoly dollars.

Dave J
:)

Genghis the Engineer
28th May 2002, 22:45
Bifilar absorber on each hub - Westlands use them to save the trouble of fully balancing discs for flight test. Basically it's an annulus half full of mercury, which will establish itself relative to any vibration so as to balance it out.

Make sure it's well sealed, mercury eats aluminium.

G

widgeon
29th May 2002, 00:02
Funny how an anulus full of Mercury should remind me of Bohemian Rhapsody

paco
29th May 2002, 00:52
Yeah, you're right - I always thought innuendo was Italian for suppository, as well!

phil

Grainger
29th May 2002, 07:39
Ummmm - only have one rotor ?

tgrendl
29th May 2002, 15:25
Overlapping rotors, not intermeshing, right?

(Two) 2 bladed rotor heads

Overlap blades less then 65%

Stack one higher by 3 feet or so depending on blade flex etc

The center portion will be retreating side

Reduce flapping and encourage dyssemetry of lift on each rotor

On lower head 90 degrees from blades fit two weighted stub blades that can lead/lag (tuneable)

Both xmsn assemblies mounted to allow left/right, fore/aft and vertical dampning (tuneable)

Use a third prop mounted aft and at the mean average of the discs for thrust, yaw control and to keep the disc setup above etl.

Install a very large ballistic recovery parachute.

Let me "hold your watch" while you test fly it.

Working on my second cup of coffee now !

Dave Jackson
29th May 2002, 21:39
Granger,

The single rotor configuration may have reached its limits, particularly in respect to forward velocity. Small improvements will be 'tweaked' out, but no quantum leaps IMHO.

tgrendl,

Intermeshing, coaxial or tandem. Any configuration where the two rotors aerodynamically interact.

The biggest disadvantage of overlapping rotors is vibration. As technological improvements continue to be made in eliminating vibration (Higher Harmonic Control, Individual Blade Control, etc), it is the helicopters with overlapping rotors that will see the greatest benefits.

More coffee. :) This thread is a request for all 'wild & wacky' ideas. Thanks.

heedm
30th May 2002, 00:07
Dave, get the blades spinning the same way, one of them slightly lagging the other. Make sure forward velocity of the aircraft keeps any disturbed air from the lower rotor.

Okay, it only works for one rotation of the blades, but you didn't specify. ;)

sprocket
30th May 2002, 11:41
How about using a large corkscrew instead of a rotorhub, and attach your blades to the corkscrew hub ..... [ala Archimedes]

[I dont believe I said that!] :D

Skycop
30th May 2002, 15:50
Wrap all the blades in thick foam.

I. M. Esperto
30th May 2002, 16:07
Simple solution.

In the Maint. Log, under "Discrepencies", write "eliminate the rotor to rotor induced vibration"

Sign it, and wait.
:D

ShyTorque
30th May 2002, 23:07
Pilot wrote "Pilot reports excessive vibration".

Engineer wrote: " Pilot changed". :D

vorticey
1st Jun 2002, 11:20
-mount the rotors further apart (verticaly)

almost canadian
4th Jun 2002, 00:37
Widgeon, with: "Funny how an anulus full of Mercury should remind me of Bohemian Rhapsody." ,
you should get the quote of the year award.
'Cracked' me up.