PDA

View Full Version : Altitude Count Down

Paraffin Budgie
20th Sep 2014, 11:46
A few weeks ago I flew DXB to CDG on an Emirates A380. We flew a slightly (for me) unusual course, going more to the west than I'm used to seeing, travelling over Saudi, Egypt and then up the Adriatic between Italy and Dubrovnik.

That was probably due to the tensions over Iraq (although the return journey was pretty much as usual).

My question is related to the approach to CDG. The flight deck gave the cabin crew a count down in altitude. 20,000ft, 14,000ft and 10,000ft.

In over 40 years of flying, I've never heard that, so what was it all about?

ExXB
20th Sep 2014, 12:35
Are you sure it was the flight deck addressing the cabin crew? I've often heard a recorded voice counting down the last few hundred feet - but it was for the flight deck.

Oh, and it helps if you are near the cockpit.

easyflyer83
20th Sep 2014, 12:36
It was probably a Captain who has his own way of doing things I suspect. Maybe he just likes to keep cabin crew informed knowing that they will be busy securing the cabin. This practice of his may have arisen from a situation he has encountered before. I.e late securing of the cabin

Just a theory. Even though airlines have SOP's, you still get some crew who will add in their little ways of doing things.

INeedTheFull90
20th Sep 2014, 12:58
I wonder why he didn't just count down in minutes if it was to give them a heads up for landing. I very much doubt most crew will know what altitude relates to in time to go anyway, not to mention the variables involved.

Only time I've seen altitudes mentioned is due to vacuum system problems with the toilets and they must he closed off before getting below a certain altitude. 18,000 rings a bell during descent. Perhaps a warning to shut the toilets off? I've never had to do it but the is a procedure for doing so.

BOAC
20th Sep 2014, 13:22
The time to worry is when he goes
"20,000....14,000'....10,000'" - at that speed:)

Mind you, the last two are 'slightly' significant in pax oxygen matters, but I cannot see any likely reason there.

easyflyer83
20th Sep 2014, 15:14
Crew aren't totally oblivious. Altitudes come into cabin crew training at many carriers whether that be in SOP's such as cabin crew release and for emergency drills. E.g when landing positions are taken and when to expect brace commands etc etc.

AerocatS2A
21st Sep 2014, 16:16
Maybe the normal signaling method, eg PA chimes, was unserviceable.

TightSlot
22nd Sep 2014, 11:56
Some airlines have cabin procedures that relate to altitude: For example, Cabin Prep at TOD, Cabin Secure & Sterile Cockpit at 20,000ft and so on. These alerts can be generated by illuminating signs or by single or double chimes on the PA system. If there is a fault, or suspected fault with these systems then other methods need to be agreed. For this reason, many airlines will develop a procedure for a prepared emergency landing with P.A. failure.