PDA

View Full Version : "TSA-Prechk" on boarding pass

Mark in CA
19th Sep 2014, 22:14
I have never applied for nor been approved for the TSA-Precheck program, which "allows low-risk travelers to experience expedited, more efficient security screening at participating U.S. airport checkpoints." Basically, after submitting some official identification and fingerprints and $85, you get to keep your pants on while going through preboarding security.

Yet today, when I checked in online for tomorrow's Alaska Air flight, my boarding pass clearly shows the TSA-PRECHK indication on it and the mobile version has the program logo with a large green check mark. This is supposed to mean I get the use the TSA-Precheck program system. I never entered anything in the KPN (known person number) field when buying my ticket that would identify me as a program member, yet here we are.

Has anyone else dealt with this before? I know I am not a program member, yet my boarding pass clearly indicates I should use it. I'm not sure whether to ignore it or try to take advantage of it (there's a special line at security for it).

Opinions? My flight is tomorrow, noontime.

Mark in CA
19th Sep 2014, 22:21
According to the Pre-Check web site:

Other Ways to Experience TSA Pre✓™

You may still be able to experience TSA Pre✓™ screening on a flight by flight basis.*

TSA Risk Assessments uses Secure Flight Data already supplied to TSA, which allows passengers to access the TSA Pre✓™ screening lane on a random basis. Check your boarding pass each time you fly for an indication of TSA Pre✓™ eligibility.

Guess I just got lucky this time.

Heathrow Harry
20th Sep 2014, 15:09
just hope the guys with guns know you are a "random selection" - might be terminal if various systems don't talk to each other....................

eastern wiseguy
21st Sep 2014, 02:38
It has happened to me a number of times. There does not appear to be any logic to it. My missus (US citizen )rarely gets chosen . Me (in those days a Paddy with a tourist/visitors visa) frequently chosen. Although when travelling together SHE forbids me to use it :)

tdracer
21st Sep 2014, 05:13
It is a perplexing system - I've enjoyed it a few times (and not complaining). But I've also had to go through the full Monty, while my wife (non-US citizen, and while she's Christian, her passport is from a predominantly Muslim county) benefited from Pre-check.:eek:

Heathrow Harry
21st Sep 2014, 09:22
hence the word "RANDOM"

Mark in CA
24th Sep 2014, 23:19
Went through without a hitch (or any guns being drawn), and definitely faster and easier than standard screening. Nice to not have to remove shoes or belt, and if I flew often, I would certain join the program. But on the return flight I did not get chosen for this little perk and had to suffer through regular U.S. airport security like most everyone else.