PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

gemma10
19th Sep 2014, 11:40
Three updates in two weeks, whats going on? :rolleyes:

mixture
19th Sep 2014, 12:25
Lousy development practices, that's what. There were a whole load of shoddy avoidable bugs ... But they were too busy trying to rush out the last major release. Hence all the minor release updates.

Booglebox
19th Sep 2014, 18:28
Lousy user interface practices too. Very much not looking forward to the end of 24.x ESR.
Google Botnet not tempting in the slightest either. What do I use? Opera? IE??

SpringHeeledJack
19th Sep 2014, 18:54
I was having a conversation earlier today, about how tech companies seem (to me) to bring out both products and software and let customers do the beta testing, whereas it seemed in the past the testing was done before and apart from a few niggles here and there the product did what it said on the tin.

SHJ

G-CPTN
19th Sep 2014, 20:42
Earlier today I had a BSOD, resulting in a mandatory Windows (7) Repair involving a Restore (all automatic - though time-consuming).

Firefox refused to Restore Previous Session and didn't recognise the Home Page or any of the AddOns (I got adverts on PPRuNe and various other sites) - nor would Firefox update via the Help or permit the download of any AddOns to replace the missing ones.

Eventually (when it was convenient - and I was frustrated by the general lack of features) I downloaded a fresh version of Firefox and overwrote the existing version - result was restoration of my earlier multi-window Previous Session and all my usual AddOns working again. :ok:

The Flying Pram
19th Sep 2014, 21:29
I've been using the Firefox derivative "Palemoon" for some time:

The Pale Moon Project homepage (http://www.palemoon.org/)

gemma10
19th Sep 2014, 22:07
Why dont they just leave the damn thing alone.Working fine till last update. As mentioned, Addons corrupted as well. If it aint broke.........:mad: Also looking at Opera. Anyone know if it has Bookmarks or Favourites?

RamonBadger
19th Sep 2014, 23:12
I suggest you use the Firefox extended support releases. They're intended to overcome exactly this problem - especially in a business environment

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Booglebox
20th Sep 2014, 12:49
The world really has gone mad :bored: :\ :confused:

Phalconphixer
24th Sep 2014, 22:18
... 24th Sept and yet another update...

gemma10
25th Sep 2014, 10:42
Another one today for petes sake :ugh::ugh: Totally absurd

mixture
25th Sep 2014, 11:15
Another one today for petes sake Totally absurd

Yup, and looking at the Release Notes, they've got a bunch of monkeys doing their coding, I quote a few fine specimens .....

-32.0.2 - Corrupt installations cause Firefox to crash on update
-Mac OS X: cmd-L does not open a new window when no window is available
- 32.0.1 - Mixed content icon may be incorrectly displayed instead of lock icon for SSL sites
- 32.0.1 - Stability issues for computers with multiple graphics cards
- 32.0.1 - WebRTC: setRemoteDescription() silently fails if no success callback is specified

As you can see, four of the bug fixes were to fix bugs introduced in the last update !

That's the problem with Open Source... plenty of coders willing to hack away at the code, but no clear project management or quality testing....admittedly the Mozilla (of which Firefox is a part) are worse than others !

le Pingouin
25th Sep 2014, 14:42
How does that explain the numerous MS patched patches?

dazdaz1
26th Sep 2014, 13:20
How trure Gemma "Add ons corrupted as well" my only add-on is my spel checker dictonary.

Daz

Booglebox
2nd Oct 2014, 14:38
Saw my Firefox 24 ESR using 1.7gb of RAM with 4 tabs open this morning... bit the bullet and switched to Waterfox 32. It actually feels very slightly slower, but now I'm using 0.7gb with ~14 tabs open :cool:
Simply excellent must-have Australis-killing addon: Classic Theme Restorer (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/?src=cb-dl-toprated)