PDA

View Full Version : Somalia's's Flying Conditions

BR14683
19th Sep 2014, 10:29
A friend of mine invited me to visit Somalia for an opportunity .Any expat Pilot's flying around Somalia , what's the lifestyle , T & C's & etc. ? any positive & negatives comments would be highly appreciated .... what airline to avoid to work with. thanks

Jetjock330
19th Sep 2014, 10:32
Avoid from experience!

BR14683
19th Sep 2014, 11:08
Thanks jetjock !

Foxcotte
19th Sep 2014, 13:41
Can't say that this would be top on my list of career moves. The local airlines (such that exist) are generally poorly funded and equipped, routes are limited. Not a definite but I would say it would be an advantage to be a muslim. Company procedures, training and salaries would be poor. Ground equipment minimal. Most locations would be considered unsafe or marginal at best. If you're looking at airlines, the only places that have a regular schedule are Mog, Hargeisa etc - everything else is bush type flying with DHC type turboprops. Relief and UN/NGO work is sporadic and uncertain depending on security on the ground. Most operators are based outside the country and fly in a semi-regular schedule or route. Unless you are in the miraa trade which is a daily run in.

Accommodation is available in Mog - at a premium and a high risk. Hargeisa less so and somewhat more stable.

But you've got to ask yourself 'Why am I doing this?'. This is a posting you'd do because you have to, not because you want to. What did your friend have in mind for you? As an expat you'd stand out and be a definite target for whatever is going on - more so the more regularly you operate there. An one off or two off is possible, but otherwise.... look elsewhere.

Amadis of Gaul
19th Sep 2014, 20:58
You have to wonder what sort of skeletons one has in his closet, if Somalia starts to look appealing.

BR14683
21st Sep 2014, 09:42
Thanks for the info guys , I would know their finals plans in few weeks time ,my friend is planning to ferry an aging airliner there , don't know yet exactly what type. well , I can just forewarn him if things post throught.

Agaricus bisporus
21st Sep 2014, 11:02
Best of luck! Rather him than me!

Roadtrip
22nd Sep 2014, 03:12
You have to be crazy or suicidal to set foot in that sewer.

BR14683
24th Sep 2014, 05:31
Oh.... really . just seeking for an opportunity if only its good , maybe , deviating myself to the west side. Thanks !

Foxcotte
24th Sep 2014, 06:06
A lucky escape then.... although the west side might also be a case of 'frying pan to fire'. Good luck:ok:

oompilot
24th Sep 2014, 19:34
Good Luck Captain Phillips.

crazy_max
16th Oct 2014, 09:47
What harm have you done to this "friend" in the past that he might suggest such a thing?
Unemployment is quite more appealing than death.

turbopropulsion
31st Oct 2014, 02:39
I'm definitely detecting some anti Somalia vibes here... Perhaps Somalia is just misunderstood:E

Parabungle
16th Nov 2014, 00:59
I feel safer on the streets of Hargiesa than in many other capital cities - Somaliland is a seperate nation state,(only it is not yet recognised) has had 3 fair elections, intergrated the clan sytem into the upper house, raises and spends taxes well- .... only no one seems to know about it! It is desperately poor, but is achieving great things - if your post is to Hargiesa, go for it! Mogadishu - avoid!