PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a record of old email before deleting.

Loose rivets
17th Sep 2014, 00:08
A pal want's to rid his computer of emails. I explained they are stored elsewhere, so he now wants to make a record of the total contents.

I know of no software to do this. Anyone have an answer?

mixture
17th Sep 2014, 08:39
Something like OfflineImap perhaps ?

BOAC
17th Sep 2014, 08:47
Which email programme? What will your friend want to do with the stored 'old' emails?

Loose rivets
17th Sep 2014, 11:53
What will he do with them? He lives on a boat, so I imagine, forget where he put them. He has a brain that multi-tasks, even when he doesn't want it to. It's only because I've known him most of his life that I can understand him.:p

mixture, thanks, I'll give that a look soonest.

He has a Celeron with Norton installed, so an uphill battle. :ugh:

BOAC
17th Sep 2014, 12:44
"It's only because I've known him most of his life that I can understand him"

Shame I cannot understand you!:ugh: Good luck.

Heathrow Harry
17th Sep 2014, 16:57
Just Google "Emails back up"

if it is something like Outlook, Thunderbird or Live Mail it's on his computer - I just backed up a 30 GB file of Livemails

If its web based (eg Yahoo) he's out of luck

Saab Dastard
17th Sep 2014, 18:09
If its web based (eg Yahoo) he's out of luck
Not necessarily. You could install a local email client - Thunderbird, Outlook, Windows live mail, for example - and connect to your online account, download all the messages ad save them locally.

SD

KBPsen
17th Sep 2014, 19:07
- and with Gmail you can download all of your emails in an mbox format.

But since it's apparently all a great secret what this friend is using for email, it's a bit difficult to give any specific advice. So how about this: Print all the emails and have a good old fashioned hardcopy of them. Seems to be the right level of technology.

BOAC
17th Sep 2014, 20:24
.....as long as it's waterproof?

Loose rivets
17th Sep 2014, 21:59
Hee hee . . . funnily, despite being nearly as old as me he's still wet-arse sailing - not in the boat that's become his office I hasten to add.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I was totally unaware of these major differences in Mail providers.

BTW, I'll pop over to JB with some pictures of the computerized dream machine that is our new lifeboat. Fantastic display of handling the other day.

Heathrow Harry
18th Sep 2014, 14:25
If you have Yahoo and (say Gmail) you can use one as your main account and just set it to copy every email to the other one - that acts as a backup in the cloud I guess

Loose rivets
18th Sep 2014, 22:21
KBPsen, I'm entirely confident Lt Data is waaaay ahead of that simplistic mortal being.