View Full Version : Flying Schools in California - San Francisco

flywithmartin
16th Sep 2014, 20:48
Hi

Can anyone recommend good flying schools in / near San Francisco?

Thanks in advance.

glendalegoon
17th Sep 2014, 11:21
at one time I would tell you to check both palo alto airport and san carlos airport.

there are certain class b problems with airspace, but do go down there and look around for yourself.

concord's buchanan field might be worth a look too.

sadly, you will have to drive at least half an hour to find an airfield with general aviation schools.

you might try half moon bay too.

I envy those wanting to learn to fly in Ohio, just ride your bike to a little airfield and start flying. SF is one of the toughest areas to learn to fly in.

After all, you can't go to SFO and expect to take lessons!

Mark 1
18th Sep 2014, 22:24
I don't have direct experience of any, but as I fly from that area am aware of many of them.

If you want to stay in the peninsula, then West Valley operate a large fleet out of PAO and SQL and probably offer the most flexibility. There are also good options at RHV and HWD.

If you don't mind the extra journey to LVK, then I have heard good reports about the Particles club (originally formed from Livermore Labs staff) and Attitude aviation if you want to sample something more exotic.

Trim Stab
21st Sep 2014, 20:01
Are there any FTOs in the region using DA42s?

MarcK
21st Sep 2014, 23:03
I don't know any local school that uses Diamond aircraft. Mostly Cessna, but several (West Valley, San Carlos Flight Center) have Cirrus SR20 and SR22.

Trim Stab
21st Sep 2014, 23:07
Thanks - but looking to do the Atp check ride in a DA42. Plenty of schools with DA42s on east coast but oddly seemingly none on west coast.

ion_berkley
22nd Sep 2014, 03:46
Thanks - but looking to do the Atp check ride in a DA42. Plenty of schools with DA42s on east coast but oddly seemingly none on west coast.

Palo Alto and Livermore.
Multi-Engine Training in the Twin Diamond DA42-NG | Scenario Based, Real World Flight Instruction (http://gregwest.com/training/multi-engine/)

custardpsc
22nd Sep 2014, 04:05
Don't know any DA42 but Oakland has an ATP school with a seneca, I just did some IR training there in their 172 and saw some of the ATP training/checkride debrief. Looked ok.

Golden Gate (http://www.accessibleaviation.com/Golden_Gate.html)

I hear good things about West Valley, but I liked Advantage Aviation at KPAO, and have flown with them recently and had a great time. Just what you'd hope for from a rental club.

Trim Stab
22nd Sep 2014, 07:27
Ion, thank you for the tip - I have emailed Livermore.

Geosync
25th Sep 2014, 04:51
Got my private at West Valley and although they have shrunk in size I don't recommend them. Try Oakland Flyers at OAK north field. Decent selection of aircraft and good instructors. The benefit of flying out of there is that you learn class C airspace from the beginning, not to mention SFO Bravo which overlies OAK airspace. Multiple runways and heavy iron add to the learning experience. If you want to get all your ratings to fly professionally then go ATP in Hayward. Their fleet is small from what I see out there but if they are like other bigger ATPs then that's what you want- get it done and out of the way. The reality is that the real experience comes after all the ratings.

glendalegoon
6th Oct 2014, 01:22
if you are in san francisco proper ( I was born there through college) and you are thinking of going to Livermore, at least consider Gnoss field in marin county, palo alto too.

check it out.

sspencer1248
6th Oct 2014, 22:03
California flight academy mate