PDA

View Full Version : Downloaditkeep

ExSp33db1rd
16th Sep 2014, 08:41
Been away awhile, got home, Updated as directed by Microsoft when I first turned on the computer again, now am infected with something called "downloaditkeep" that throws adverts. all over my browser ( Firefox) despite Ablock being installed.

Been to Control Panel, Uninstal Programmes, saw the thrice accursed thing listed and promptly booted it to Hell, which worked for about an hour but it is now back again, but NOT listed in my list of Programmes this time, so can't Uninstall it again.

What to do ?

Thanks.

Bushfiva
16th Sep 2014, 09:02
Try AdwCleaner https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Uninstall the bogus software, which you've done, then run AdwCleaner. Someone else around here has this infection, too. Maybe there's a link between you two getting infected and others here reporting their AV software blocking PPRuNe as a malicious site. It sounds like someone is serving malicious ads.

The Flying Pram
16th Sep 2014, 10:33
Been to Control Panel, Uninstall ProgrammesThis rarely does a proper job - all it does is run the programmes own un-installer, which will remove as much (or as little) as the original developer intended. In fact most programmes spread files and settings all over your computer. The chances are one of these has been able to re-infect it. If you want properly remove some software, use a dedicated utility like "Revo Uninstaller" - and run the "Full" option. You will be amazed what it finds! But DO check carefully exactly what registry items are ticked before deleting them. I always expand the "Tree View" and ensure only the bolded ones are selected.

The "Portable" freeware version is perfectly adequate for most purposes, and doesn't need to be installed itself. You can put it onto a memory stick, and run it from there. Admittedly this isn't claimed to be capable of removing "remains" of previous programmes - likely in your case - you'll need the "Pro" version for that, but use it for any future jobs, rather than Windblows own version.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Booglebox
16th Sep 2014, 19:39
Have you checked your Firefox plugins / extensions?

Loose rivets
17th Sep 2014, 00:05
Sounds a bit like the problem I had the other day which was as per Boogle's post above.

If it is that, can you let us know what you kill as I failed to take note. It was the complete answer.

Bushfiva
17th Sep 2014, 01:12
As Booglebox notes, it's a blended threat that installs a program plus PUPs. The uninstaller gets rid of the program, and adwcleaner then gets the PUPs.

obgraham
17th Sep 2014, 03:17
System restore, to, like...last month??