PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Iceland while on holiday

METARHIMS
15th Sep 2014, 21:30
I'll be in Iceland in October and I'd like to do some flying while I'm there, if possible. I'm writing to ask for recommendations. I'm a professional pilot in the U.S.

Obviously, I'll be flying into BIKF but I'll spend most of my days in Reykjavik, Akureyri and points in between.

I was thinking I could either take a domestic roundtrip flight out of BIRK for a day trip and see Iceland from the air or rent a G.A. airplane with an Icelandic instructor. Which do you recommend?

Thanks,

METARHIMS

oceancrosser
16th Sep 2014, 21:42
PM me and I will try to get you some info.

9 lives
18th Sep 2014, 11:03
I rented a 172 in Reykjavik a few years back, and it was an excellent experience - expensive, but excellent! I took my wife and daughter, and one of their instructors, who went for the ride free of charge, to visit his buddies where I was going anyway (that was easier than the checkout process, though that was offered to me). Take cash to pay for the plane. I honestly cannot remember the flying school name, but it of helps you to search, the plane I flew was TF-FHO.

From Reykjavik, fly south east a bit over an hour to Vestmannaeyjar, Walk to town from the airport, absolutely beautiful, and you can hike on the volcano of 1973. From there, you can loop north over the icecap, and back to Reykjavik. You'll have seen nearly a quarter of the island if the vis is good, and about three hours flying.

If you need more info, you can PM me, and I'll inquire of an Icelandic friend of mine