PDA

View Full Version : California Flight Academy

S00
15th Sep 2014, 17:31
I'm due to apply for California flight academy to train to become a commercial pilot. I'm aware that a $600 deposit is required as part of the application. This isn't a problem however due to the fact that I've seen numerous negative reviews about the academy I want to hear your opinion on the academy. If you feel the academy is not the place for me to train please give a valid reason and feel free to drop your recommendations below.

Karbine
17th Sep 2014, 04:59
If this is the one setup in El Cajon near San Diego, then this is my experience -

I went not to CFA but the neigbouring flight school, Anglo American Aviation in 2008. As flight schools go, this one is (was) the typical flight school with overflowing Indian and Chinese students with less staff and lesser aircrafts. Mid-training, someone bought the school and it was renamed American Aviation Academy.

While the takeover was happening, we were temporarily shifted to CFA. The US Immigration granted permission so as to not delay or stop our training. At this point most of the students left and went to other flight schools. I was not bright enough at that age and so I took the option of shifting to CFA.

It was a nightmare. If I use a scale of 1-10, then AAA was a 5 and CFA was a 3. It was a monument of unprofessionalism and delays. I wasted 5 months of time and money in CFA to fly for only... 1 hour. Keep in mind that at this point I was still working towards PPL. The issue with CFA was overstaffing, aircraft shortage (the ones they had were almost always maintenance) and of course students filled to the brim and overflowing. I moved yet again to AAA.

You may have noticed the use of past tense. That is to imply and enforce the fact that this happened 6 years ago and things change. You might want to get in touch with the people who have recently completed their training in CFA or the ones who are currently attending CFA. A good way to do that is to find the facebook pages, forums etc for CFA students.

That is my INR 1.22 according to conversion rate at the time of writing this post.

TiltedTomato
21st Sep 2014, 10:45
That is to imply and enforce the fact that this happened 6 years ago and things change
I would even go as far as saying that your reply is worthless 6 years later. Sorry.

sspencer1248
21st Sep 2014, 19:55
Then again his past experience at the academy dates back to 2008 so it's not exactly reliable as things may have changed over the six years. I'm still seeking a recent review on the academy. Anyone? :confused:

TiltedTomato
22nd Sep 2014, 10:29
Does it really matter if I was there or not?
Yes I was there but at about that time too so I'm not going to post any comment as this will probably not be relevant for someone planning to go there NOW.

sspencer1248
22nd Sep 2014, 22:35
I'm still seeking reviews on the academy. Anybody? :confused:

chiehkai
20th Jan 2015, 09:06
I'd also like to hear some thoughts about this academy too.

Transsonic2000
21st Jan 2015, 02:58
Well, above mentioned school wouldn't be my first choice!

James331
21st Jan 2015, 03:37
$600 deposit... Sounds like a scam

I've head very good things about IFTA out of Bakersfield, CA. Good instructors (paid well with little turnover), all training done in A36s and B58s.

sspencer1248
23rd Jan 2015, 07:50
Starting in a weeks time mate the academy isn't a scam according to students who are currently training there it's a very good academy

dera
23rd Jan 2015, 11:48
$600 deposit is normal for schools who issue an I-20 form for you. It is not free for them.