PDA

View Full Version : Mac - connecting SmartTV to wifi with VPN enabled

ExXB
14th Sep 2014, 11:37
I have a Mac running OSX10.9.4 and have a Private VPN from somewhere up in Sweden. I use Viscosity to access the VPN. Using my Mac I have no issues connecting to various VPN servers worldwide and have used sites normally geo-protected.

I've recently bought a SmartTV (Phillips) which I have connected to my WiFi home network. However, I haven't been able to connect the SmartTV to the internet using my VPN connection (I can connect normally). i.e. on those geo-protected sites I'm told I can't access because I'm in the wrong country. One site correctly identified the country I am in (CH)

In System Preferences --> Sharing --> Internet Sharing is enabled.

In Viscosity --> Preferences --> Networking (for the Server in the selected country) I've selected "Send all traffic over VPN connection", but this hasn't solved the problem.

I've asked this question at both the VPN provider and Viscosity but they just blame each other. Neither (or both) suggested solution has worked.

I'm not adverse to changing Viscosity to something else, if it will work.

Any ideas and or suggestions.

PPRuNe Pop
15th Sep 2014, 21:29
I have TP-Link if that is of help. It operates all over the house. My STV has not missed a beat.

ExXB
16th Sep 2014, 17:05
I'm sorry PPP, but what is TP-Link?

Booglebox
16th Sep 2014, 19:38
I hope this (http://rodrigo.sharpcube.com/2010/06/20/using-and-sharing-a-vpn-connection-on-your-mac/)is useful.

pudoc
16th Sep 2014, 20:43
I'm not familiar with Viscosity and its abilities but it sounds like only your Mac is connecting to the VPN and not other devices?

If this is correct, you best option is to get your router to connect to the VPN and therefore everything that connects to your network is through the VPN. The way I did it is by flashing my router with software called DDWRT. It's fairly complicated, took me some hours, but worth it as it's only a one off thing then all your devices will connect to the VPN.

I see what you are trying to do with enabling internet sharing...but I don't think its a very efficient way of doing this.