PDA

View Full Version : Ryaniair FO Hold Pool

Cabair351
13th Sep 2014, 19:02
Hi,

I was offered a position and start date with Ryanair recently (Direct Entry FO) but then it was withdrawn as my agency informed me Ryanair wanted to concentrate their efforts on Captain recruitment and training for the foreseeable future. I am currently in their hold pool. Just wondering if anybody else is in the same situation and what the chances are of being called in the next few months?

Thanks in advance.

cargosales
13th Sep 2014, 20:29
I'm not but I would venture that your chances will be much better if you learn to spell correctly the name of your prospective employer.

BluSdUp
13th Sep 2014, 21:06
Hi.
I do not thingth spelling is the bigest problen hear!
No Direct Entry FOs in Ryr ,ever!
No holdingpool, whatever that is in aviation.
Mr Jaws just left for a better place.
So if You are in Ryr holding pool, start heading for shallow waters, speaking of shallow,,,.
Tides out.

Bobermo
13th Sep 2014, 21:21
BluSdUp, check your sources again...

Welcome to Ryanair! (http://corporate.ryanair.com/careers/pilot-recruitment/)

Cabair351, I can confirm that captains get priority at the moment, unfortunately I have no info about waiting time, although I can assure you they are running tight on FO's aswell as on captains..

My opinion of course:ok:

Coffin Corner
14th Sep 2014, 03:39
Cabair351, just as bobermo said, hang in there and you'll get the call eventually.

Cargosales, get a life, anyone can clearly see it's a typo. To think you actually took the time to jump on the pprune spelling police bandwagon; pathetic :mad:

Cabair351
14th Sep 2014, 06:19
Bobermo / Coffin Corner,

Many thanks for the replies. That's good to hear.

Aluminium shuffler
14th Sep 2014, 07:47
Cabair 35, if you already passed the assessment then you will be given a job. At the moment they are moving FOs onto permanent staff positions and off contracts, so you could pursue the same, but you may have to have done a year on the line to get that.

As said, they are trying to get the capts sorted first as we are short of both and capts are harder to source, but you WILL get called. Don't turn down other good job offers if they come, though.

Cabair351
14th Sep 2014, 08:07
Thanks mate.

Callsign Kilo
14th Sep 2014, 08:42
Cabair 351

Its all about the training department my friend. They are closing in on max production. 6 sims spread across 3000 odd pilots plus a thinning level of trainers both in the sim and on the line. More training positions advertised, but they will need to be trained too. Yes, the focus area will always be the left seat but as others have said, the right is a bit sparse too. For a variety of reasons there is a focus on DECs. It doesn't take too much prodding to reveal why. The big 'from the line' rumour is they are going to open up UK bases for DECs as the Morocco, Southern Italy and Greece option wasn't a big hit. Only a rumour so I have no authority on it, but it HAS been done before. Can't see how this will stem the tide as I personally know half a dozen skippers awaiting assessments and start dates with other airlines.

Not sure what their plans are for the right seat, however I would see a mixture of experience and zero experience cadet as the planned option. Basings will be the usual Russian Roulette. Wait it out but if something else comes along then...:ok:

All my opinion. You'll get there though. Best of luck

Cabair351
14th Sep 2014, 09:33
Thanks Callsign Kilo.
All noted.

SR-22
14th Sep 2014, 11:14
Same here as Cabair.. passed the assessment, but was then told that FO recruitment has been put on hold for now and that it would most likely continue in January as the focus now is on the left seat. But that I would be among the first to get a call once they start again.

PAPI-74
14th Sep 2014, 11:36
No self respecting DEC would apply for their terms....

BluSdUp
14th Sep 2014, 18:16
Bobermo!
I just checked my sources.
There has never in the last 11 years been a OCC , 4 simsessions,
with Direct entry FOs with 1500hrs of resent B 737-7-900 and a totaltime of 2500 hrs wich would be reqrd.!
Full TR diffrent story, who pays?

351:
Lets define a holding pool,? Dont call us , we will call You.!
Son , keep Your dayjob.

On the other hand , if You know your :mad: and can fly. Welcomm to the show.

captplaystation
14th Sep 2014, 18:38
BluSdUp,

your comments would all have been applicable, for the last 11 years or so, but. . . . . . they are now very short, and are taking DEC's , which has been a while , and qualified FO's (not since 2003 if memory serves well)

Of course the focus is on Capt's, as they can be called to operate as FO's if required & are therefore "covering" 2 seats in any shortfall of crew on the day.

Get in, get your experience, and get out, as ( only in my humble opinion of course) any perceived "softening" of attitudes towards crew will only last as long as any shortage of same.

You have been warned :=

BluSdUp
14th Sep 2014, 19:13
Cpt play.
Still looking forward to the first DEFO occ wonders.
Planning is one thing , executing another.

And Yes ,they are up the creeck ,no propultion. Canselations are apperantly happening on line.
True, me not know?

Is Bjørn doing any better I may ask, considdering the super contracts he is offering. Would love Your take on that. 300 plus required is the latest?
Thats a lot of sim-time and a few lintrainers working hard, Eh?
Good luck.

captplaystation
14th Sep 2014, 19:25
Was told the other day that something seriously North of 10 FO's who joined from the filth in the last 18mths ( with the promise of "rapid" Command ) are seriously reconsidering their options having witnessed only one upgrade course this last (longish) while.

They are contemplating returning to whence they came from. . . . unthinkable ? well, viewed as part of a long-term plan. . . maybe not. Those that had the foresight to leave on amicable terms will be welcomed back warmly ;) & given a VERY rapid Command (which they would have accepted no doubt 12-18mths ago anyhow had the T's & C's not been so woeful.)

Couple of years back there in the LHS & the world is your Mussel (sorry Oyster . . . . or was it Clam )

Several years more in the RHS in NAS (as a Contractor mind you , not even in Core) when you have Command Hrs is not what these Dudes signed up for (neither was Summer in €10 a Beer Norway either, but that is another story )

BluSdUp
14th Sep 2014, 19:45
Cpt P
Command is king for Senior FOs,indeed that is a pearl branded before.!

You did just propose local pay-scales based on ale . Super, all for it,

Lastly, never mind cpts, what is the offisial recruitment estimate for Bjørn the next 12 months. Retirment, new aircraft netto etc.
365,5? One a day, Think of a number!?
Anyway ,got to fly,Nite

Skyjob
14th Sep 2014, 21:16
BluSdUp check your sources.
There was a minimum of 1 DEFO course in 2008, even with one on a Ryanair contract as an FO...

galwaypilot
14th Sep 2014, 23:22
I'm ex FR and I'm 'toying' with the idea of going back! I think NAS is heading FR direction? I believe people's minds are 50/50 with that statement.

Everfly
15th Sep 2014, 07:20
I am not sure what the problem is with those people comparing Nax to Ryr, the fact that they are both lowcost doesnt mean anything regarding work conditions...

Since I joined Fr, the conditions have gotten worse and worse... payscale,roster, holidays...
I have never seen a single bonus or improvement in 8 years Time !

When I am comparing this to what I have now, I wish I would have done it before.

I am sure a few left Nax to go back or to the far east but the vast majority is Happy here and there is so many jobs offer at the moment ... Why go back ???

Of course this is only my humble opinion. :)

Cabair351
15th Sep 2014, 08:01
BluSdUp,

Rather like your singular wit, unique (not in a good way) style of messaging and not to mention atrocious spelling you seem to be one of the few people I have met in this business who have never heard of a 'hold pool.' That's HOLD POOL not 'holding pool' - God only knows where you read that from but it wasn't from my original post.

I wont reply to anymore of your posts. After all, there are many young, impressionable minds on this forum who may well be mistaken in to believing your trolling is a perfectly normal way for a 50 year old man to reply to what was an entirely reasonable question.

galwaypilot
16th Sep 2014, 19:25
Rang storm to see whether I can come back, but they have a hold on FO's! And the priority is DEC and cadets. So they can't be that stuck for FO's considering they're willing to wait for a cadet to finish line training!

Skyjob
16th Sep 2014, 19:27
Stuck enough to roster captains together on a flight due lack of FO's...

speed_alive_rotate
16th Sep 2014, 19:39
galwaypilot, who did you leave for that you wish to come back? Sorry just being curious. Obviously Ryan aren't the worst if there are some willing to return! Regards SAR

galwaypilot
16th Sep 2014, 20:11
Ah I know they're stuck, getting the €€ from the NTR cadets vs getting TR guys into the right seat to fill the gap. I can't say who I joined for obvious reasons. But another 737 EU operator.

I believe even since I left (Jan this year) it's got worse in FR. The reasons for me contemplating a return is the roster and commuting. As the roster here is off the walls! It's got worse since I joined. Thus commuting is nearly impossible.

speed_alive_rotate
16th Sep 2014, 20:55
Yeah it seems to be the one bonus for Ryan, the roster! Best of luck with whatever you end up doing galwaypilot!At Least you have jet experience and are in a job at present, a huge head start on many others.

galwaypilot
16th Sep 2014, 21:22
Yea exactly... But listen it's hard as FR has no regard for their "employees". And as long as MOL is in power. It'll remain that way. It's not like he needs the cash.

Depone
18th Sep 2014, 16:09
they can't be that stuck for FO's considering they're willing to wait for a cadet to finish line training!

Depends how long it takes to get a DEP on the line?

JW411
18th Sep 2014, 16:25
I always think it is a mistake to take leavers back. They left in the first place because they were disgruntled and there is nothing worse than having a disgruntled employee. My last company had a no-return policy. During the 19 years that I was there, we only ever had one "returnee". He left again within 6 months!

73b
18th Sep 2014, 18:14
Does anyone have any idea when they'll start taking pilots from this 'Hold Pool'?

SR-22
19th Sep 2014, 07:44
Does anyone have any idea when they'll start taking pilots from this 'Hold Pool'?

Well just like I posted earlier in this thread, I was told probably not until January

top9un
19th Sep 2014, 08:10
3 Nov 2008, OCC was conducted with 5 Direct Entry type rated FOs although FWIW all have now left, 3 went to a longhaul airline, one is now running his own business and the other one held onto the foreign licence and didn't change to IAA.

galwaypilot
24th Sep 2014, 06:48
So I see the last 6 comments have been deleted! Can a moderator say why?? Anyway, so if you wanted to return, who do you contact. PB or DR...?

737 Jockey
24th Sep 2014, 08:52
Interesting.... :ugh:

Well, it may have been for our benefit, probably not though. Ryanair have a history of obtaining the identities of Pprune members who've posted stuff about them, and they've been forced to make a substantial donation to charity and issue a public apology, under threat of litigation. To my mind, that breaches freedom of speech, but there you go! :ugh:

If people don't know what Ryanair are like by now...

All in my own humble opinion of course :mad:

galwaypilot
7th Oct 2014, 12:25
Guys has anyone heard of any DE FO assessments of late?

doniedarko
8th Oct 2014, 11:09
No....seems to be cadets and internal upgrades ....

galwaypilot
24th Oct 2014, 12:35
Well they can be that stuck as the likes of I and many others who are ex FR guys have heard nada. It's that or we're not wanted!

speed_alive_rotate
1st Nov 2014, 14:26
Thought this would be as good a place as any to pose the question.....
Reading other threads here it is clear other European Locos have been getting worse by the day, especially our friend in the northern region with the red jersey. So is FR as bad now in comparison to the others? Also has any of the new FR welcoming, kind HR been extended into the flight deck or is it business as usual? Are crews seeing any improvement in their base choices, I had heard that was one of the strategies to try and stop the exodus. I presume the exodus north will now grind to an almighty stop!!

Aluminium shuffler
1st Nov 2014, 16:34
Nothing at all has changed at RYR except the mgmt are very keen to emphasise that fuel loads are the commanders' decision and no pressure is to be applied to us to take minimums when operational factors are such that more fuel is prudent, and more people are being moved onto permanent employment from contracts (I suspect just a forced reaction to the investigations and possible prosecutions by numerous EU authorities). That latter issue is resulting in new captains having appallingly low pay (E45k basic!), but at east as employees it's easier for them to get credit/mortgages. Basing, leave and rosters are unchanged.

So, Ryr is looking a better place to stay only because so many of the others are getting even worse, not because Ryr are improving.

172_driver
1st Nov 2014, 17:20
Ask new FO's with €150 000+ training debt if they see a bright future in Blue Yellow & White..

galwaypilot
5th Nov 2014, 15:30
Anyone receive a start date??

73b
6th Nov 2014, 14:35
Nothing...

BluSdUp
14th Nov 2014, 15:22
Dear fellow Aviators:

According to PB and AO,S in Ryanair , RYR shall hire 690 pilots the next 12 months. 90 of them typerated .
This was stated in an interview with Danish Check-in.dk today.

Good news for a lot of You that are in the holding-pool I hope.

samca
14th Nov 2014, 18:35
Just 90 type rated?

BluSdUp
15th Nov 2014, 11:52
Samka, You ask : only 90 typerated?:
I do not know, I do not work in RYR training department.
But if you are typerated AND have more than say 1500hrs on 737-800, this is your time.

It looks to me that RYR can now benefit from the aperent recrutmentcollaps at Norwegian. Lots of ex RYR pilots wants back to RYR.
They are quickley trained.

Any other 737 pilot needs a 6 sessions OCC cource, after a few weeks of INTENCE groundschool. Then linetraining to a high standard.
This takes less time then a full type rateing, but not by much, and the outcome has been some rather nonstandard linepilots. RYR hates this and will eat You alive if You diverge on SOP details.

If you go to Check-in.dk and translate the interview with RYR and post it here,some of Your questions will be answered.
PB claims he is training more pilots the next 12 months ( 690) then the rest of Europe combined. That is a bluff.
Due to stabelized fleet-size , max hrs and retirement in flagcarriers. And expansion generaly there is plenty of recrutment in EU.
Then You have the rest of the world....
Short and sweet,,: Some Loco will wetlease this spring and summer due lack of crew. We may also see canselations.

# You are cleared to exit RYR holdig, what is You intention ? #
Mail , Ring and knock on doors. Good luck.

samca
16th Nov 2014, 01:52
It is only not depend of the Training time. One type rated pilot with experience in the airplane and more than 4000 total is a piece of cake for any company with B737NG.

JUST in my opinion

RAT 5
16th Nov 2014, 08:07
That depends on the attitude of the company. If you want a pilot; perhaps. If you want another trained monkey clone then perhaps not. They need to be deprogrammed and remoulded then re-programmed. Not so long ago experienced F/O's were not hired by some airlines as it was deemed to difficult, troublesome, tedious, risky and a loss of training profit. DEC's have exactly the same illnesses, but market forces dictate otherwise. Now the boot has changed foot, or joined its brother to make a pair on both feet.
Think of the argument about requiring >1500hrs in RHS of jets. Here were companies actively pursuing the opposite; i.e. rejecting experienced type rated pilots; thus demonstrating that the argument is not so simple.

Greenlights
24th Nov 2014, 16:31
That depends on the attitude of the company. If you want a pilot; perhaps. If you want another trained monkey clone then perhaps not. They need to be deprogrammed and remoulded then re-programmed. Not so long ago experienced F/O's were not hired by some airlines as it was deemed to difficult, troublesome, tedious, risky and a loss of training profit.

Hey RAT5, it's quite a bad new if it's true...Im in a LCC and want to get out when possible, but I was thinking that, as we follow airbus SOP, I thought that many arlines follow the manufacturer's sop... So no need to be deprogrammed, right ?

kungfu panda
24th Nov 2014, 17:32
Rat 5: Talking about DEC's having to be de-programmed and then re-programmed, I think that it has become a skill in itself changing company as a contract Captain. I've noticed highly experienced KLM, BA, Ryanair Captains etc coming to new companies as DEC's and really failing to understand how to make the change. Other guys who may have changed Airlines a number of times seem to adapt quickly. That's my view looking at the guys we get here in China.

RAT 5
24th Nov 2014, 20:29
KP. You missed my point, slightly. Deprogramming then reprogramming is not easy; in some airlines eyes. I've done it myself as captain, many times; no problem just hard work. That's called maturity, realism, singing the song of the piper who pays you. Some airlines think F/O's are not so capable; perhaps from experience. When there is a glut of F/O's they choose the raw recruits: when there is a shortage of captains they have no choice.

power.on.spin
24th Nov 2014, 21:28
Quick question...

DE FO non-rated - who pays for the TR?

Greenlights
25th Nov 2014, 05:54
your question made my day :)
FR does not even pay your water and uniform, so you bet it will not pay your TR ? :}

FLY007
25th Nov 2014, 19:27
FR used to take direct entry FO as I and many friends joined at that point. Dec used to get pref for base up to 3 years ago so supply and demand will dictate. Some of you guys on here are crazy speaking out of turn with no facts. Keep it factual and this becomes a source of info rather than fiction.

galwaypilot
30th Nov 2014, 22:11
True! You've probably guessed I'm looking to return! I'm currently working for a friendly low fares airline. It like FR has it's issues and well through my career I believe where you gain something in one airline you lose in another. In the LCC realm anyway. I've got a sweet contract and it's a nice company to work for however the roster is rubbish and the commute is expensive. So where I gain in salary I lose in the commute! So if you're in FR and you have the base of your choice. Well it could be worse. Hence I'm gunning to return. I've left and well I'm sad I did. If they take me back is another story! Unlikely maybe. I believe what ever airline you join, get on with it. Give it your all. Get involved and don't sit on the sidelines giving out. Expand your career into management or training etc. If it's still not making you happy, move on and find another airline. As the stress will only kill you!! Maybe my view is naive, but I rule by SSR (Safe Standard Relaxed). Don't stress! So best of luck and if anyone hears of assessment/start dates place post or PM me.

BluSdUp
4th Dec 2014, 20:55
Hi
Some private pilot licence holder asked : Who payes?
The last 8 years only two Pilotes has NOT payed for the typerateing in RYR,
I know one.

galwaypilot
5th Dec 2014, 01:22
Well if they're DEC on a RYR contract maybe (unlikely though!) but not FO's. I wouldn't be applying to FR and being dependant on them to pick up the tab. 2 pilots in 8 years. Well how many joined in that period? I'd imagine the odds are well against you.

Aluminium shuffler
5th Dec 2014, 11:11
Really guys, anyone asking who will pay for type ratings must be an idealistic schoolboy, not a qualified pilot. The point has already been made repeatedly and you just won't listen. Anyone asking again about who stumps up the costs really shouldn't be flying anyway if their judgement or ability to understand simple facts is so poor.

10checks
6th Dec 2014, 13:24
I presume though that if you're rated you'll be bonded by a training agreement if going on a Ryanair contract. Also being asked for pay for the OCC if joining asa contractor? Would this be fair to presume?!

Aluminium shuffler
7th Dec 2014, 14:14
Promotions are paid for by RYR (in theory), but with a £5k bond. Of course, the new captain is then sent to a southern or eastern base on a contract of half the salary of a UK captain and on another 10% reduction, so that promotion course is paid very heavily by the promotee over the next few years in a loss of earnings. So, ask yourself if you think RYR will be fair in how the OCC is funded and any bond applied. I appreciate that some have had a drop in conditions moving to other LCCs, but you will be getting another drop if you return and paying for it in real terms one way or another for years. Stay where you are until you can move on to a grown-up's airline! The only winning plan is to get away from the whole LCC crowd.