PDA

View Full Version : Internet availibilty or 3G when going to work as a bush pilot

Turbo911
13th Sep 2014, 08:22
Hi I am 27, about to start my commercial pilots licence in the next few months.

I have read that it is hard to get work sometimes once completing your studies. My question is if I pursue the route of going to Namibia or Botswana, is it likely that I would find a internet connection or 3G signal close to my place of residence, whether it be in a tent or lodge etc. ?

The reason I ask is I do a little work online and if this would be possible there to get hold of the internet for 2 hours a day or so, I would be able to take a pilot job that pays a very low salary or maybe even work for free to build hours and I am sure this would help me to land a job?

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Exascot
13th Sep 2014, 14:20
3G and WIFI available in Maun but very slow. As for working for free to build hours, what planet are you on? :D Stick to your day job.

Turbo911
13th Sep 2014, 16:43
I am very confused by this reply.

I obviously would prefer to be paid. The point I am making is if I was not able to find work as I know its tough to at first, then if it meant I could follow my dream by working for free and gaining hours I would. Instead of throwing the dream away as you are basically suggesting?

Dufo
13th Sep 2014, 18:22
You can take my position in Europe for free. But I still get the salary.. Free wifi included! :E

James331
13th Sep 2014, 19:30
.....or maybe even work for free to build hours and I am sure this would help me to land a job?

Dude, are you a worthless human being??

If you believe your worthless go jump off a bridge, if you're NOT worthless charge for your damn time, you hold a COMMERCIAL PILOTS LICENSE...ACT LIKE IT!

As for the internet (at least in Nam) it sucks, cell phone data through MTC is a joke, but you should have service in Windhoek or Swak which is where you would be based.

Turbo911
13th Sep 2014, 19:36
I don't think you guys quite understand my post, I am saying if push came to shove between not getting a job and having to give up my dream as I have heard that happen to people and working for free to make my dream a reality as once I have more hours I will obviously get a paid job.

I would choose the working for free hands down every time, if it meant not having to give up my dream.

I am very surprised by the replies so far.

FERetd
13th Sep 2014, 21:23
Turbo911 Quote "maybe even work for free to build hours and I am sure this would help me to land a job?"

And where are you going to land a job if the person ahead of you in the queue decides that he will work for free, and the person in front of him etc. etc.

Do you not have any pride?

Even prostitutes charge - I'm told! Those that don't are simply whores.

Turbo911
14th Sep 2014, 08:25
Well hardly anyone is able to work for free, so your scenario would be impossible.

Working for free would be a last resort option, if it comes down to giving up the career or working for free for 6 months, I will choose working for free for 6 months, its the obvious choice.

James331
14th Sep 2014, 13:43
working for free to make my dream a reality as once I have more hours I will obviously get a paid job.

Sounds like you give up easily,

I don't think you understand the industry, which is sad seeing you already spent all that money to get your CPL.

Look, you only need enough hours to get your CPL, after that you GET PAID to fly, and GET PAID to build your hours.

I haven't paid a dime to fly (outside of flying my personal plane for fun) since I got my CPL, I've never had trouble finding a job as a fresh CPL, or now as an ATPL.

On a grammatical note, if you're flying for free you're not "working" as working implies pay.

There are quite a few operators and chief pilots who straight up hate folks who disrespect their industry.

If folks know you're worthless (as in "working" for free) you very well may be passed up on a interview, after all why would they hire someone who hurts aviation, when there are 10 other applicants looking for work who came up right.

Sounds like the only thing that may cost you your "dream" is you.

Turbo911
14th Sep 2014, 19:48
Firstly I am starting my licence in the next few months, I am not qualified. Secondly, this would be a last resort if I was unable to find work after qualifying as I have read of plenty of people struggling to find work.

James331
14th Sep 2014, 21:28
If you're planning on working for free, or that thought even crossed your mind; STOP, and pick an easier vocation. Maybe mid level management, or book keeping, plumbing etc.

Based on what you said, I don't see aviation working for ya.

Turbo911
14th Sep 2014, 22:50
I will let you know how I progress through my aviation career James.

big buddah
15th Sep 2014, 04:55
Turbo, I appreciate your ignorance and a little touch of your arrogant attitude.I admire your brass balls in coming to this forum and saying you will work free because you have a small business on the side.
Take some time out and count to ten. You think you're trying to get ahead, one over everyone else that wee leap ahead by offering your skills for free. But by pure naivety you are the root cause of why you can't get a paid flying job.

Please and I plead to you, from some one who had worked far and wide in this industry and who is now an avid supporter and active worldwide alpa member. To please get your flying positions from making this industry better rather than under cutting fellow pilots in the same position as you.

Sell yours skills. Otherwise you will be undercut but the next guy who comes along for free. You will never get ahead.

I'm struggling now in a major airline to get a better deal for our pilots because the company tells us they can get guys to work for lesser conditions.
It's a spiral.
Sell your skills. Not the profession.

lilflyboy262...2
15th Sep 2014, 07:14
Exactly, its how it starts. You just need to look at the airline industry to realise that.
It started with people offering to work for free or reduced wages... then pay to fly came in.

Thankfully a lot of bush operators will tear up your CV should those words leave your mouth.
I can promise you, it will make your life HARDER to get a job, not easier.

You've already let a bit of information slip as to who you are.
The guys in town will figure out that you are the "internet business guy." Someone will read this and put two and two together and the info will go around town.
You can choose to believe that or not, but just ask how many of the guys that are in Maun at the moment have read the thread that I posted up.
Its a very small community.

Not to mention it is illegal for companies not to pay employees.
If you are happy to work for a company that needs to cut costs by not paying their employees... I can promise you that they will not be spending the extra money on maintenance.

Solid Rust Twotter
15th Sep 2014, 07:20
It's like watching a retarded seal clapping for fish....

The qualification is already under intense pressure because of the practice by low time pilots of buying a McRating in the hopes of getting a job on a larger type while still almost uninsurable for anything but small types. Funny enough, those little guys are where you'll learn the basic skills that will stand you in good stead later in your career. They're also a lot more fun to fly than the big iron.

To further devalue the qualification by flying for free makes your CPL, and that of others in your position, worthless. Start a trend where low time CPLs can no longer expect a salary and see how it ripples through the entire industry, degrading already shaky terms and conditions. The shonkier operators have already jumped on the 'buy a rating before working for us because we're too cheap to bond you' bandwagon with great gusto. You're also not going to make many friends in the business by taking away a pay cheque from someone who needs to feed a family.

Turbo911
15th Sep 2014, 10:33
Thank you to the last three posters, I appreciate your posts and advice, I now understand what the others were trying to mean.

I am sorry for what I said, as now I can see how it was the wrong thing to say and also to pursue. I don't want to do something wrong and now that the last few posters explained the situation to me I can see why what I wanted to do would be wrong.

Just a side note, I am no rich kid or something, my online work makes me the equivalent of probably 300 to 400 dollars a month, was planning on living in a tent off that money if I had too, which now that I understand how things work I will not be doing. Well I still might live in a tent, whatever it takes to grow as a pilot.

Exascot
15th Sep 2014, 11:08
It's like watching a retarded seal clapping for fish.... SRT :D I will remember that one. I bet he will be back though.

Doesn't stand a chance here, especially now. My gardener seems to have disappeared maybe Biggles would like to drive our Flymo for free. We are under the Maun General Flying Area, he can watch PFLs* all day and read my log books - no free hours there.

* I am just waiting for a free C206 to drop into my garden when the engine refuses to open up. It's the one with the PAPIs on the lawn please guys :cool:

Edited to add, he was back in there before I could post!