PDA

View Full Version : The NT News has done it again!

Capt Claret
13th Sep 2014, 04:38
Qantas landing leaves passengers sick and scared
BY CONOR BYRNE NT NEWS SEPTEMBER 12, 2014 2:56PM 4

OXYGEN masks fell from overhead and passengers started vomiting as a plane had to pull out of a landing at Darwin Airport.

The Qantas Boeing 717 with 95 passengers travelling from Alice Springs to Darwin on Tuesday evening was about to land when it suddenly had to gain altitude to avoid a departing Virgin flight delayed on the runway.

A source, who declined to be named, said: “A few people were frightened.

“They were getting real close to the ground and it felt like the wheels were down and then next thing you know they were climbing real quick and the masks were down and people were spewing.

“The pilot said another plane was taking off.”

Defence operates air traffic control at Darwin Airport.

An unattributed statement from Defence confirmed traffic control “sent around” QJE1938 before landing.

“QJE1938 was sent around by air traffic control to maintain the safe separation of aircraft, due to a delay by the preceding Virgin aircraft in takeoff,” the statement said.

“This is a standard procedure for air traffic control to maintain safety standards.

“As air traffic controllers followed all procedures and there was no safety incident, there is no requirement to report the go-around to the (Australian Transport Safety Board).”

Virgin failed to respond to the NT News about the delay.

Qantas spokesman Thomas Woodward said the Qantas flight was about 150m from the ground.

:roll eyes: :roll eyes:

Qantas landing leaves passengers sick and scared | NT News (http://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/qantas-landing-leaves-passengers-sick-and-scared/story-fnkd45ts-1227057361655)

VH-UFO
13th Sep 2014, 04:51
The masks were down, what they deployed?

For a simple go-around?

Surely not, something doesnt sound right.

Capt Claret
13th Sep 2014, 05:14
The masks were down, what they deployed?

For a simple go-around?

Surely not, something doesnt sound right.

I don't think that the journalism displays any checks for accuracy, or perhaps even the truth.

drunk_pilot
13th Sep 2014, 05:39
I don't think that the journalism displays any checks for accuracy, or perhaps even the truth.

You can't even call the nt news journalism. It's complete pus.

On Track
13th Sep 2014, 06:05
Yet no mention of a crocodile. Standards are definitely slipping at the NT News.

pilotchute
13th Sep 2014, 06:10
I once tried to explain to a journalist that when an aircraft "stalls" it doesn't mean the engine(s) stop. I went on to say cars and aircraft are different. Aircraft fly by having continuous airflow over wings. When that is interrupted that is what a stall is.

He looked at me like I was speaking Latin to him. He replied that Joe public have no idea how a plane works and he has to keep it simple. I replied that keeping it simple and reporting crap are two different things. "Yeah but I have deadlines to keep". That people is the clincher. They will print anything to fill copy regardless of how factually incorrect it is. It just has to sell advertising. As long as they don't get sued they don't care.

Don't expect anything to change. This is the new world. Live with it.