PDA

View Full Version : Adware issues with Airliners.net

Diverskii
11th Sep 2014, 17:21
Not sure if this is the place to post but I don't have an airliners account so I figured here would do.

Is anyone else having issues with airliners.net? The site is incredibly slow to load, whilst my internet connection is fine and other sites load fine.

A few weeks ago clicking on forum links opened up ad pages. Now today those nasty popup ads that highlight certain words have appeared on forum links. Here's what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/CMnfrnP.png

It is not affecting any other webpages or my computer - only airliners.net. I've scanned my computer and I'm clean. I've searched to see if anyone else is having issues on airliners itself but nothing. There are no suspicious extensions in Chrome either.

I'm just curious as it only affects airliners.net and no other site?

onyxcrowle
11th Sep 2014, 19:13
One thing to check is that you don't have malware. There is one particular type tgat isn't usually detected buy lives in the temp folder
Goto start, run, and type %temp% hit enter
You will likely see a folder full of random files.
Goto the menu at the top. Goto file and select all.
When all the contents are highlighted hold down shift and delete together.
Answer yes to do you want to permanently delete these items.
Then reboot the pc.
Also if yoyr using Internet Explorer yiu can try going into settings and advanced.
Restore advanced settings.
In Firefox go into the menu and check what add ons are present and plug ins.
A usual suspect is my websearch.
If your using Norton or mcaffe neither are effective.
While norton slows the pc by around half.
I recommend AVG and Malwarebytes anti malware.
The latter will almost certainly uncover any nasties you have lurking.
Beyond that feel free to PM me for further assistance.
IT is my thing so if I can help I will

Diverskii
11th Sep 2014, 20:58
It just occurred to me to check airliners on another device (my tablet in this case) and the problem still persists.

It looks to be an issue on their end rather than mine then no?

Bushfiva
12th Sep 2014, 00:43
It looks like airliners.net is using advertise.com's recently-announced InText product. It's driven by JavaScript, so I expect a script blocker would do away with it, and it requires almost no setup on the part of airliners.net, so the site may not have fully appreciated beforehand what the effect would be.

Diverskii
12th Sep 2014, 14:17
Yup, a script blocker has done the job thanks.

Peter47
12th Sep 2014, 18:47
Its interesting that airwise.com works OK on my machine (with Norton) - I often get an ad in another window but I just close it. However, when I am looking at it in the library it often crashes. I suspect that that they have more aggressive blocker software that stops the website which is rather pop-up heavy in its tracks. I suspect that its the same with airliners.net - too many popups that upset certain blockers.