PDA

View Full Version : Boeing staff scared to fly 787

BNEA320
11th Sep 2014, 03:49
Boeing staff scared to fly their own 787 Dreamliner planes (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/boeing-staff-scared-to-fly-their-own-787-dreamliner-planes-20140911-3f9rg.html)

Reporter must not have got his upgrade on the 787 & taking it out on manufacturer not airline.

hoss
11th Sep 2014, 10:08
Dude, get in the danger zone. Go Laurina.

Jack Ranga
11th Sep 2014, 10:33
Lisa's got it :ok:

hoss
11th Sep 2014, 10:58
Which Lisa, the one on the bachelor or the one on big brother?

;)

Jack Ranga
11th Sep 2014, 11:06
Dood, do I look like I watch big brother? The Bachelor man, The Bachelor :ugh:

onetrack
11th Sep 2014, 11:17
Do these people know that Jack is scared of flying in Jabirus?? I hear there's a big story in the offing here. :E

rowdy trousers
11th Sep 2014, 11:41
Surprises are rarely unexpected.
However, if you lined up all the Chinese people in the world, I'd be very surprised.

Jack Ranga
11th Sep 2014, 15:26
You got that right, I'd rather eat dog **** on toast for breakfast than jump in a jab :cool:

BNEA320
12th Sep 2014, 00:02
terrible PR from only a few disgruntled employees.

boeing better get their PR boys onto this fast.

Going Boeing
12th Sep 2014, 00:43
Boeing Responds to Al Jazeera English Documentary on 787

We have not been afforded the opportunity to view the full program, but the promotional trailer and published media reviews suggest that what has been produced is as biased a production as we have seen in some time. It is unfortunate that the producers of this television program appear to have has fallen into the trap of distorting facts, relying on claims rejected by courts of law, breathlessly rehashing as “news” stories that have been covered exhaustively in the past and relying on anonymous sources who appear intent only on harming The Boeing Company.

When first contacted by the producers, we accommodated them in order for them to produce a fair and objective report including facilitating factory access, interviews and providing full and open responses to their questions. The 787 is an outstanding airplane delivering value to our customers, but we have also talked candidly in public about its challenging development process. There are no tougher critics about our early performance than Boeing. Unfortunately, the reporting team appears to have chosen to take advantage of our trust and openness and abused their position from the outset by deliberately misrepresenting the purpose, objective and scope of their planned coverage.

This specious production appears to have ignored the factual information provided by Boeing and instead based the majority of its reporting on unnamed sources pursuing their own agendas and a disgruntled former employee engaged in a legal dispute with Boeing. In one instance, the producers resorted to ambush tactics normally seen only in tabloid-style TV news. The anonymous sources the TV program depends on are clearly working with those who seek to harm Boeing and its workers. They appear to have no real interest in truth, safety or better informing the public.

Even on-the-record sources seem to have changed their stories for the producers. For example, former Society of Professional Engineering Employees in Aerospace (SPEEA) President Cynthia Cole said this about the 787’s first flight in 2009: “Today’s flight is a testament to the skill, hard work and diligence Boeing employees put in to get this airplane ready to fly,” SPEEA President Cynthia Cole said in a news release. “Boeing returned to engineering, and that’s what made today possible and successful.” Now, she states in the documentary trailer that Boeing “shortchanged the engineering process.”

Instead of an objective view of the 787’s development, viewers and our employees will see a television program that is neither balanced nor accurate in its portrayal of the airplane, our employees, or our suppliers. This program and those involved with it do a disservice to the hard-working men and women of Boeing and our supplier partners who designed and build the 787.

Furthermore, the program presents a false impression of Boeing South Carolina and the quality of work performed there. Airplanes, whether delivered from South Carolina or Washington, meet the highest safety and quality standards that are verified through robust test, verification and inspection processes. Our data of the current 787 fleet in service show parity in the quality and performance of airplanes manufactured in both locations.

Source : The Boeing Company (NYSE: BA)

Anti Skid On
12th Sep 2014, 04:13
I watched this last night and there were several things that became very apparent.

the Li Ion batteries; they demonstrted a 'test' where they fired a bullet through one from a Biz jet. It made an almighty mess. Now it is unlikely that a bullet is going through a dreamliner battery pack, but the fires with the chargers were pretty scary
there was clearly an anti McDonnell Douglas agenda; it was stated things had gone to pot since the merger. There was considerable mention of the profit being the driver over and above safety
The South Carolina plant did seem to be somewhat 'unprofessional'; the satff were all bagging one another
The quality control seemed a shambles
The carbon fibre fuselage sections (made in Italy) were unproven and the QC there questionable too - and too many fixes.
There was a bit 'Michael Moore' about how they met with the Boeing execs, guerilla journalism. However, the Boeing chaps were clearly worried about what to say.

Did it put me off the 787, hell yes

Ngineer
12th Sep 2014, 04:13
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/peopleandpower/2010/12/20101214104637901849.html

Not the first time either. But after seeing the documentary on the 737NG bear strap issue a few years ago, and how it was handled, I cant say that I trust Boeing 100%.

Chocks Away
12th Sep 2014, 05:56
Hoss, Sam's the one, right from the getgo! (for me at least:O)

Back to other matters, yes it is very worrying and Boeing are running covering their Armani suit asses! It's another classic example of corporate boards getting greedy pushing the "affordable safety" agenda... all very well until it's one of their relatives onboard an airframe that's "bought the farm"!

Boeing's management debacle has been mentioned before in Forbes Magazine (http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2013/01/17/the-boeing-debacle-seven-lessons-every-ceo-must-learn/) but what astounds me amoungst all these "risks" (http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2013/01/21/what-went-wrong-at-boeing/) is the absence of the word SAFETY... :ugh:

Oh and just a little LMC: Documentary Questions Quality and Safety Of Boeing 787 - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2014/09/10/documentary-questions-quality-and-safety-of-boeing-787/)