PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what I have just seen

Ian Titcombe
9th Sep 2014, 11:19
I have just caught a sighting of what looked like a cross between a U2 and a Canberra flying low over Swindon heading towards either Fairford/Brize Norton. Fairly sure it was not a U2 as wing lengths looked relatively shorter than I remember (having seen the odd one many years ago around this neck of the woods) and very certain it was not a Canberra as wings were too narrow. No doubt there are people out there who can tell me what I saw!

OntimeexceptACARS
9th Sep 2014, 11:34
Maybe a WB-57?

WB-57 Home (http://jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov/wb57/)

DaveReidUK
9th Sep 2014, 12:28
A pair of U-2s have been active at Fairford today.

Ian Titcombe
9th Sep 2014, 14:42
A U2 is obviously what it was then, that is the trouble with getting older the eyesight and memory are not what they used to be!

Big Eric
9th Sep 2014, 15:04
They use Fairford regularly as a stop-over between the US and a certain Eastern hot and sandy country to the East. The airframes going West are going home for maintenance and those going East are just out of maintenance.

Ian Titcombe
9th Sep 2014, 16:34
As Fairford is only 5 miles North of me as the crow flies, it is still quite rare to see any aircraft movement from home as the runway/flight path runs parallel to Swindon, but can often hear low flying jet engines and seemingly often under the cover of darkness. I knew that U2's were at Fairford during the Gulf conflicts and it follows that in the current climate they would use the base again.

Big Eric
10th Sep 2014, 16:18
They've been doing a regular stop-over at Fairford for years, nothing to do with any conflicts (another 3 arrived today and 2 left) !

They always arrive and depart in daylight by the way.