PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Airlines Take the Bump Out of Turbulence

SweepTheLeg
8th Sep 2014, 01:29
NYT: Airlines Take the Bump Out of Turbulence (http://nyti.ms/1pFk2sw)

Well we're getting "Shenzhen-specials" PDF readers in our cockpit. We're state-of-the-art. And we can send air-to-air ACARS because we can't rely on our dispatchers to give the planes behind us a heads up!

While others divert around areas of potential severe turbulence, we plan our flights THROUGH it. The savings in $$$ will more than pay for the cost of a few injuries. How many planes these days have you picked up only to see in the logbook severe turbulence encounters? A lot more than there used to be!

Just a few years ago, airlines got their weather reports by telex. Pilots pored over reams of paper and compared the forecasts with their flight plans. Once airborne, they depended on radio communications and rudimentary radar to avoid bad weather.

Now, pilots download detailed flight plans and weather reports full of intricate graphics onto tablet devices. Flight dispatchers track aircraft in real time and provide up-to-the minute weather data. New generations of airplane radar systems allow for easy in-flight adjustments.

Turbulence poses a particular challenge because it cannot be seen by satellite or radar. But meteorologists use complex weather models as well as reports from pilots to predict areas of heavy turbulence. Sensors on some planes operated by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and Delta Air Lines can automatically relay turbulence information to dispatchers to look for alternative routing for later flights.

Southwest Airlines recently outfitted 87 of its 600 Boeing 737s with sensors that measure water vapor in the air to determine the location of fog, cloud formation and cloud ceilings. Hawaiian Airlines is developing real-time weather maps in the cockpit to give pilots access to the same detail of information available to dispatchers on the ground.

airplaneridesrfun
8th Sep 2014, 02:45
Amazing! I wonder how our essentially black and white bulky boxes will compare! I'm sure we will win the world's greatest EFB award soon.

If a proper pay review is not settled soon; Delta, Alaska or Hawaiian are on the top of my list of places to go. The sad thing is that a 777/747 FO working 84 hours at Delta makes over $3000 more than a similar officer at CX. More amazing, is that when you go to Captain at these places, you don't lose seniority in the pay-scale; and can also choose which plane(s) you want to be on. The grass is always greener on the other side..... but in this case, it is really lush and green..... and with an IT department that understands this century (and EFB's).

Difficult for a growing airline to grow, when they are losing pilots because of their short term "exploitation" of people by promoting the idea that pilots can be based in their home country.

ACMS
8th Sep 2014, 06:39
How many Aircraft?
In 20 years NONE.:ok:

NoAndThen
8th Sep 2014, 07:17
How many Aircraft?
In 20 years NONE.

Obviously you're not on the Tripler and not flying to NA...

ACMS
8th Sep 2014, 09:45
Been there and done that too......

Still None. :ok:

iflylow
8th Sep 2014, 11:04
I've noticed it too in the past year or two. Much worse turbulence than before. I don't know if it's our flight planning or Mother Nature but it seems each winter is worse than the previous in regards to turbulence over the Pacific.

And of course no heads up from dispatch...