PDA

View Full Version : Use of HF radio Tenerife to EGCC.

magpienja
7th Sep 2014, 21:39
I often listen to airband HF on a receiver I have at home...of late I often hear the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair make calls on route between Tenerife and Manchester on shanwick HF,

I would have thought that a/c on this route would always be in range of a VHF ground stn...or am I wrong,

Hoping for an answer from a professional Pilot.

Nick

Ivor Fynn
7th Sep 2014, 21:44
T9 is the closest oceanic route to the European mainland, it does require the use of HF even though you could do it with VHF. T213 and T16 much further out do need the HF. Just the way the rules are written.

Ivor

chevvron
7th Sep 2014, 21:45
If you're entering Oceanic airspace, you have to call them (Santa Maria or Shanwick) on one of a 'family' of HF frequencies; they do have VHF but it's usually just used for clearance delivery.

magpienja
7th Sep 2014, 21:48
I see...so its compulsory because they enter the airspace where HF contact is req...do I read that correctly...

Nick.

kcockayne
7th Sep 2014, 22:13
These a/c are operating within Shanwick OAC airspace, but outside of Shanwick's VHF cover. Therefore HF is necessary to maintain communication with Shanwick. It is academic that they might be able to contact Brest Control on VHF - because they are not in Brest airspace & Brest would, therefore, not be able to offer them ATC service; just as any other ATC service would not provide service to a/c flying outside their area of responsibility (unless a letter of agreement existed between Shanwick & Brest allowing Brest to provide ATC service within Shanwick airspace).