PDA

View Full Version : MD80 at LGW

Akrotiri bad boy
6th Sep 2014, 21:27
I've used LGW quite a lot over the last few months and noticed a MD80 parked on what seems to be a freight stand. This is to the West of the North terminal roughly in line with the Virgin Atlantic hangar. The aircraft hasn't moved since June and sits there with its doors closed, flaps down, and no GE connected.

Has anyone got any info on who, what why?

Thanks in anticipation

TOWTEAMBASE
6th Sep 2014, 22:27
Does it look like its in monarch colours ! It's has no engines either, it's a scrapper

Skipness One Echo
6th Sep 2014, 23:19
ex I-DAVA of ITALI who went bust. Been in situ since at least Dec-2010, sat on 180 for ages, then the 200s and was last seen on 159 with "TRYGON AVIATION LTD" titles. I suspect it's as good as scrap, they're just sorting out legalities.

DaveReidUK
7th Sep 2014, 07:25
Arrived 21st October 2010. After being impounded, was reportedly used for some time for pushback training.

http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/160/160041_800.jpg

Akrotiri bad boy
8th Sep 2014, 16:41
Thanks guys. I hadn't noticed it was engineless :O Perhaps it's as well I no longer fix flying things.

joy ride
8th Sep 2014, 17:37
It has been about 10 years since I last used Gatwick. When I last did there was a Comet with clipped wings near the terminal. Further along when taxiing out, near a fire training hull, I could just see a tail which looked to me like a Gloster Meteor or Westland Whirlwind, no idea if they are still there but guess not. Even at UK's busy airports there is usually something unusual to see.

Fenders
10th Sep 2014, 16:56
The wingless Comet (GAPMB) at Gatwick was last flown by Dan Air and retired in 1978 ish.
She was acquired by Gatwick Handling and was painted white and had her wings clipped so that it could be used for pushback and towing training. She was usually parked on the old stand 136, on the corner of taxiways K + Q, not to be confused with the new 136.

During a review of airfield assets, etc a few years ago, it was decided that MB was no longer needed and she was then scrapped.

Another aircraft hiding away at Gatwick is the HP Herald GCEXP. She was on the roof of the South Terminal as part of the viewing area for many years, but was eventually craned off one night and taken to the western end of the airfield.

DaveReidUK
10th Sep 2014, 17:41
Another aircraft hiding away at Gatwick is the HP Herald GCEXP. She was on the roof of the South Terminal as part of the viewing area for many years, but was eventually craned off one night and taken to the western end of the airfield.Not looking too good as of a couple of months ago:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/7/6/3/2459367.jpg

SpringHeeledJack
10th Sep 2014, 18:00
Whenever I see such a sad looking aircraft, I get this strong desire go there with my Kaercher jet spray washer and get all that moss and muck off the paintwork :p In reality it's probably protecting the old paint from the elements.

suninmyeyes
15th Mar 2017, 14:41
It is still there. It is now parked on the other side of the runway over at where the BCal crew report used to be. It must be racking up a massive bill in parking fees. I wonder what it is being used for. I sometimes see the doors open.

http://theimagehost.net/upload/3fc1811a271d0a690b75b6a00364d99d.JPG

sparkie320
16th Mar 2017, 19:29
Managed to grab some good shots of the MD80 on a visit see attached

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88573897@N03/albums/72157666968852742

sad to see G-CEXP Herald dumped considering the work put in presenting it to the viewing gallery , i was a member of the team that worked as Skyview, good few years working up there showing people around

HZ123
16th Mar 2017, 19:43
Many of you will also remember the BA Comet that sat alongside the LHR Eastern Peri Road aircraft crossing which used to be run up regularly for the apprentices to learn on. I guess that was also torched.

treadigraph
17th Mar 2017, 07:45
We were involved in the engineering to support the Herald on the roof. Seem to remember the original idea was scaled back considerably.

sparkie320
24th Mar 2017, 13:40
i think the original plan was for BAC1-11 to be put on the roof, not sure but the weight might been issues
you guys did a good job on the herald