PDA

View Full Version : EVA air or Qatar Airways

aerocomp
6th Sep 2014, 09:48
Looking for serious and honest answers.
If you have got the offer to choose work for EVA Air and Qatar Airways, which one would you choose and the reason for that choice?

Sam Ting Wong
6th Sep 2014, 10:45
I wouldn't like to stay long with either airline, so I would go wherever the pay is better.

In case it is a choice between long haul and short haul, I would choose the first.

JammedStab
6th Sep 2014, 11:18
Do you want to be able to commute home. That would seem to be the biggest difference between the two.

I suppose there are tax considerations as the Middle East pilots tend to not pay any tax.

As well, in the ME you tend to fly mostly with expats if that makes any difference for better or worse.

Qatar seems to have a reputation for firing people for minor offences.

Luke SkyToddler
6th Sep 2014, 11:38
They're both pretty terrible

Go whichever has the shortest bond, get a few quick hours and then go somewhere decent

cosmiccomet
6th Sep 2014, 12:57
EVA is going to be the longest run for upgrade, it has happened but it can take more than 8 years.
Taxes are 20 % flat but you can get back up to 10% tax refund depending how many days you were in Taiwan and your dependents.
Company accommodation is provided for single pilots at their complex in Nankan or housing allowances are paid for married ones.

The big difference is the chance to have 8 consecutive days off per month.
I don't know if you can request back to back in EVA plus adding annual leave days to each request.

You should visit both places in order to see which one suits better for you.

aerocomp
6th Sep 2014, 13:35
Thanks for good info,any ideas how the salary are in EVA. That one of the good parts that you are able to at least have some chance to go home at EVA

dubaigong
14th Sep 2014, 15:19
If you want to take into account the " life " outside the work , for me at least Taiwan will be a lot better.
I have been in both places for a few days and for sure I will be a lot happier when I am not flying in Taiwan...
More things to do with less restrictions and a lot greener with beautiful landscape...

Flyboy_SG
11th Oct 2014, 11:48
EVA seems to be a better choice considering the 8 days off a mo or 16 days every 2 months. And Taipei is a lot cheaper, cooler, greener and better than Qatar. Well all that for approx 2000-3000USD than Qatar. Now the only question is the upgrade. Upgrade is quicker in Qatar for sure. Any actual latest info about EVA upgrade?