PDA

View Full Version : !Survey Pilot Employment Conditions!

NilVolentibusArduum
6th Sep 2014, 08:58
New forms of employment in the aviation sector are currently subject to an independent scientific study conducted by Ghent University (Department of Social Law). This study is co-financed by the European Commission and is carried out on behalf of the European Sectoral Social Dialogue Committee for Civil Aviation, which comprises the social partners from the airlines, both employers and employees.

Airlines, pilot associations and trade unions from across Europe welcome this study and call upon their pilots to actively contribute to the online survey. If you are a pilot, we would highly appreciate your participation.

It will take approximately 12 minutes of your time to fill in. Ghent University, the European Commission, and the European Sectoral Social Dialogue Committee for Civil Aviation thank you in advance for your participation!

https://www.eurocockpit.be/pages/survey
https://www.survey.ugent.be/survey/index.php/437443/lang=en

Reimers
6th Sep 2014, 17:41
What is your age?

20-30
30-40
40-50
50-60
60 or older

So when I'm 40, do I select 30-40 or 40-50?!?

In total, how many flight hours do you have so far?

less than 500
500-600
600-700
700-800
800-900
900-1000
more than 1000

Stange staggering, don't you think?

Cliff Secord
7th Sep 2014, 00:32
This is wonderful. Lots of impressive names. But what's it for? What is the point? What is the data used for? Forwarding to the press to quote 'in a recent survey pilots predominantly said....'?

maybepilot
7th Sep 2014, 00:47
What's it for? To collect data on those practices that have deteriorated the working conditions and life style of pilots and flight attendants.
The project is financed and backed by a series of organizations that could have political leverage when it comes to lobbying for changes in the system:

Sectoral social dialogue - Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion - European Commission (http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=480&langId=en&intPageId=1829)

yeoman
8th Sep 2014, 08:57
By not filling it in then the only possible outcome is nothing will happen. It's possible that by filling it in nothing will happen too but then again......

I sometimes wonder, pprune is littered with moans about employers and BALPA / ECA / IFALPA and yet given the option to at least try and do something that might just better our collective lot, the moaning just ramps up a notch.:ugh:

TheiC
23rd Sep 2014, 06:34
By not filling it in then the only possible outcome is nothing will happen.

Not quite. Another possibility is that the people behind it might say: 'How disappointing; we haven't had many responses, but people have remarked that the survey is not very well constructed, so perhaps we should get some help putting a better one together'.

I found the questions (and options) odd, just as Reimers did, and think it's best left undone.

Luke SkyToddler
24th Sep 2014, 02:55
What's it for? To collect data on those practices that have deteriorated the working conditions and life style of pilots and flight attendants.

It's pretty clear you eurocrats haven't noticed a few things on your 3 hour lunch breaks down in Brussels, so let me spell it out for you.

- Pilot salaries and working conditions have been in free fall for the last 20 years
- kids are paying 100K+ to work for free in an airliner
- pilot unions have been screaming for help from the EU and had nothing
- dozens of airlines have gone bust, thanks in large part to the stupendous cost of complying with EU legislation
- the EU green taxes have handed a huge advantage to every non European airline
- O'Leary and his chums have been blatantly abusing EU employment law, to drive salaries lower and lower, and prevent pilots getting industrial representation
- The EU has stood back and watched while the Gulf carriers have massively abused their economic power to grow market share, at the expense of just about every flag carrier in Europe
- The latest EU FTL's have set safety back 50 years

Now that the industry is completely and utterly broken and it's a decade too late to fix it, how does the EU respond, by "commissioning a survey".

Bunch of useless bureaucrats, the EU is part of the problem not part of the solution. You can stick your European Sectoral Social Dialogue Committee for Civil Aviation where the sun doesn't shine.

CaptainProp
24th Sep 2014, 09:33
That pretty much sums it up.....

737 Jockey
24th Sep 2014, 10:51
Well said Luke.

Did I mention that I'm your Father? ;)