PDA

View Full Version : Start training or find a job?

james2006
5th Sep 2014, 14:26
I am 20 years old and have just commenced my final year at university on a Business Studies degree programme in the UK. I want to become a commercial pilot and was part of the Air Force Cadets and now am a member of my university's RAF University Squadron.
My question is, is it better to commence pilot training straight after I finish university or should I find a job in the aviation industry (most likely a finance/business job) and work for around 6-18months before beginning training?
Thanks for your help.

Transsonic2000
7th Sep 2014, 23:33
My question is, is it better to commence pilot training straight after I finish university or should I find a job in the aviation industry (most likely a finance/business job) and work for around 6-18months before beginning training? Considering your age (you're young, absolutely no need to rush things) I'd definitely go for option two! Gain some work experience and put some money aside for the training.

Good luck!

james2006
16th Sep 2014, 00:07
Thanks for the advice, doing an internship after I graduate is also what my uni's career advisors have also recommend.

redsnail
16th Sep 2014, 09:13
I agree. Get a job.
Why? You'll need some cash salted away before you train.
It'll give you an appreciation of working outside of the flight deck.
You'll not be so blinded as to what management will "offer" you as a "great deal" in the future.