PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Pressures

crewsunite
5th Sep 2014, 11:27
Are commercial pressures of more importance than Safety?
Thought not, good.
Is there a policy against intimidation in CX?
Though so, good.

But why then do our managers still intimidate us, when we make decisions concerning aspects that improve the safety of our opperation. Which is for their own good.

Ans: It must be that their commercial rewards are more important than safety and that intimidation is a convenient word used only in a onesided argument.

It'll be in the interest of our customers to see a few cases of intimidation been fought against the company before its too late.

Maybe you can help me recall such occasions.

ANCPER
5th Sep 2014, 12:34
Chutams,

How many languages do you write or speak? Yeah, thought so:D

Shep69
6th Sep 2014, 05:15
Safety, profits, and treating folks right go hand in hand. They are not mutually exclusive--exactly the opposite--they are synergistic. People who want to go to work are very productive and pitch in to help the team.

I don't feel intimidated by anyone. One owns one's own fears and feelings and whether or not you choose to be intimidated is often framed by your personal outlook. While there are things that can physically hurt you in life, I don't encounter these at work, and can freely leave if things go south. No one can force me to do anything; at worst I can be given a bad deal which I can freely reject and refuse to be a part of. I'm certainly not going to do anything dangerous even if someone wants me to (which hasn't been the case) under any circumstances. I often DO strongly disagree with actions taken and feel them counterproductive to productivity and profits from time to time (i.e. if you don't invest in your people and create a decent work environment over time you WILL lose money--and this hurts everyone).

Any manager doesn't really have that much power over someone--the worst they can do is get one fired. While this isn't good at the same time there are much worse things that can happen in life. And if I always do the right thing it's pretty easy to explain this if one has to look for a new job. If doing the right thing results in unemployment in any job, I probably am better off somewheres else.

It DOES cause me concern to see paths chosen which are sure to hurt doing something I really like and are not consistent with running a quality operation. So I make my input--sometimes strongly, move on, and be prepared to move out if things go bad.

Absolutely Fabulous
8th Sep 2014, 03:17
shep

now please don't go and spoil the party by talking sense :ugh:

for f*@ksakes, this is a site for pilots :E

WagnerPrincipal
8th Sep 2014, 11:04
Good post Sheppy.

N1 Vibes
10th Sep 2014, 07:01
Mainly agree with Shep 69's post. Only one thing, and I have seen this happen at CX. The person with the moral strength to leave the company/get fired is soon replaced with someone of slightly less moral fibre. The risk then continues (or gets worse), and when I talk about risk, in our business this can mean a smoking hole in the ground.

Safe Flying!