PDA

View Full Version : fi training

n.dave
5th Sep 2014, 07:17
Hi there,

I recently just started out flight instructor training and feel slightly out of pace. The training is basically a carbon copy of what instructor teaches and on the next flight its your turn. I could not get correct choice of words quickly and feel too slow when demostrating effect of controls 1 and 2. It just feel like not enough time to teach or maybe I'm too slow. Also, got a habit of pointing to the instruments when its the instructor turn to follow my instructions, which according to him is a big distraction.

Want to be a good instructor, any good pointers?

Cheers

Whopity
5th Sep 2014, 08:37
Even when you have completed the course it will take another 100 hours or more before it starts to gel.

SpannerInTheWerks
5th Sep 2014, 11:32
Even when you have completed the course it will take another 100 hours or more before it starts to gel.

Yep!

Just make sure you fully understand what you're going to teach when you're on the ground so you're not fumbling in the air when the pressure is greater.

Practice the patter over and over in your arm chair.

Generally less is more - when demonstrating and pattering

Break it down into bite-sized bits

Good luck with it all :ok:

n.dave
6th Sep 2014, 06:20
thanks a lot. Will certainly do lots of arm chair flying.

cheers

taff_lightning
6th Sep 2014, 18:18
Just stick at it, think everyone finds those early lessons hard. I know I did.... No pointing, it's a terrible habit. Get out of it now.

n.dave
11th Sep 2014, 22:56
Thanks Taff.

As my FI Trainer says there are 2 Golden rules:

Rule No. 1: Your instructor is always Right!
Rule No. 2: Remember Rule No. 1.

cheers

Aware
12th Sep 2014, 11:48
100 hrs post passing test is about right to really feel comfortable. The more I did the more I felt comfortable with the various exercises. I did it for 10 years some days thing s happened which made me feel I just started. The students that make you feel most comfortable are the most likely to give you those days.

Miss it really some days its fun and people you meet on the whole are great.

What it taught me was actually how clumsy I was flying the aircraft before my FI course.

But eventually you do feel very comfortable doing it, when youre are the most proficient at it is probably when you're had enough of it, shame really, pay bloody awful I understand now some doing it for free, so you can't complain about the pay as there isn't any, good tactic !

n.dave
25th Sep 2014, 12:29
Hi there,

I finally getting the use of demo- teach- practice to my fi trainer. Just completed climbing and descending airex. However, I still can't not master on my landings as compared to left seat. Everytime I come to land it is always on the right side of the centre line! I was shown a technique by using a right leg is on the glide path and then you are on the centre line. It seems to work at first but when closer to the runway it started on the right! Confussed. I tried to find some visual clues on the internet and books but they are all on left sided seats. In one article it says land on right use right eye, left use left eye. I leave that out. Any pointers?

Thanks

pineappledaz
25th Sep 2014, 21:38
n.dave. I aim for a point on the runway..usually one of the centrelines. If you are having trouble lining up just move your head to the left so that aiming point is lined up with the centre of the windscreen. Obviously only works on pretty much no wind days but it is great for the practice. Once lined up put your head back to the normal position and note the spot on the windscreen and keep your aiming point there.

Remember you rudder too, keep her in balance..sometimes people just don't use the rudder when converting over to the right side.

n.dave
27th Sep 2014, 07:57
pineappledaz, yeah I tried that technique a few times but the fi trainer wants me to sit in my normal position rather than sticking out to left too much. Maybe my face was so Close to his:E.

Thanks

pineappledaz
27th Sep 2014, 21:13
N.dave What has your trainer advised? It is a very useful technique just to get your eye in...not like every landing will be like that.

condor17
1st Oct 2014, 18:58
N.Dave , I Knew how you feel for all the FI course , up 'til the last 2 hrs ! The ''Give'' and ''Give back'' , took all of that time to understand . Now 5 yrs later it seems to flow , but 1st 100 hrs in 2 months went like a blur .
Lots of armchair flying and small postcards with bullet points of each lesson....still take them up now [ old age ] .

Good luck and most of all enjoy .

rgds condor .

5th Oct 2014, 09:13
Would you recommend any of the following books for a FI trainee?

Flying Instructors Patter Manual by Peter Pillips & Bob Cole.
Flight Instructors Manual by R.D.Campbell

Or any other book?

n.dave
5th Oct 2014, 09:24
pineappledaz, I always follow my fi trainer advise. If the center line is on right knee then use you right knee. Interestingly, did some search on the internet about eyes perception on lining up the center line. It is about which eye is more dominant. eg. place your 2thumbs together and try to line it with a distanced object. close one eye at a time and you will know which eye is off target and the other is on target. The one that is on target is the dominant one. I tried this technique on finals and it worked. My recent landings on were fine and no problem on center line and hopefully it wasn't just down to weather or luck. Only time will tell. ps just to keep record straight i did land all the way just with one eye:}.

condor17, this fic is very enjoyable. it's giving me insomnia! agreed with lots of armchair flying and my wife thinks I'm either nuts or it's some kind yoga training:eek:

cheers

n.dave
5th Oct 2014, 09:42
172510, I have flight instructors manual by R. D. Campbell. I did not use much of it though. Most of the stuffs are covered by fi trainer himself. As i said that, i do find it useful on how to teach (demo, teach, practice) and to look up some very technical details for homework. this is maybe because i have no experience in teaching and instructing. I haven't use the other book that you mentioned so can't comment on it.
hope it helps.

cheers

Ascend Charlie
6th Oct 2014, 11:22
The terminology is usually DDM - Demo, Direct, Monitor.