PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong based: advice needed on GA-friendly nearby locations to maintain proficienc

alistair.baker
4th Sep 2014, 11:33
I recently relocated to Hong Kong. I was hoping that the existence of a “Hong Kong Aviation Club” meant that I could maintain flying currency, but it’s not.

Beyond the excessively high joining fee (USD 10,000), the airspace is ridiculously limited (only one GA airport, small area further reduced by the presence of the main airport, altitude limited to 3000ft at best) and the airplane fleet/availability close to zero (a couple of C152+C172, 1.5 hour rental max per pilot per weekend). This means that any hope of doing any kind of interesting flying (cross-country, IFR or aerobatics) is naught.

Thus I am looking for advice and suggestions on other geographies that would:

Be 2/3 hours commercial flight time from HK (i.e. acceptable distance for weekend getaways)
Recognize FAA or EASA issued licenses, or have minimal conversion requirements
Have flight schools open to airplane or helicopter rental
Have an airspace open for GA allowing for proper cross-country flying and/or aerobatics

Thanks a lot!

pilotchute
4th Sep 2014, 14:20
I think Thailand would be your best bet. There seem to be a couple of flying clubs and I don't think foreign conversion is too difficult.

Good luck

Flying Mechanic
4th Sep 2014, 14:31
Just over an hour away, it's well served by few airlines. You can hire aircaft at local flying clubs .it's great country to explore by air.

JammedStab
5th Sep 2014, 03:56
Getting back to the HK flying club. Would they be willing to do some dual instruction(Perhaps 2 hours) on an aircraft so I could fly around HK without getting a membership?

alistair.baker
5th Sep 2014, 05:33
Only way to know would be to call the club, but from what I saw of their availability I doubt they would be able/willing to accomodate. I might know a way to arrange it privately though, PM me if you are interested.