PDA

View Full Version : 75 years ago this day

Rosevidney1
3rd Sep 2014, 20:13
75 years ago today... … Chamberlain's broadcast to the nation:

BBC - Archive - WWII: Outbreak - Britain Declares War on Germany (http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/ww2outbreak/7917.shtml)

Proplinerman
3rd Sep 2014, 20:23
I'm glad someone else was aware of this momentous anniversary today; and I've got Chamberlain's broadcast that day set as a YouTube Favourite.

brokenlink
3rd Sep 2014, 20:44
Was also the day 75 years ago today that my grandfather was due leave the Army, needless to say he did not get past the barracks gates!

tdracer
4th Sep 2014, 00:45
Somehow not nearly as famous as his earlier pronouncement of "Peace in our Time".

onetrack
4th Sep 2014, 06:45
If ever there was a boofhead of a politician, with an inability to see anything past the end of his nose, Chamberlain would rate right up there.
I'm amazed to see that he planned to shut down the BBC during wartime, deeming it "unnecessary". What a clown. :ugh:

joy ride
4th Sep 2014, 07:46
There has been so much about WW1 that everyone seems to have forgotten this anniversary, though I expect it will be better known in Poland.

Poor old Neville, not one of history's greats! I tend to think that he was basically a decent person who hoped that common sense and diplomacy would defuse the situation; with hindsight it is blindingly obvious that major aggression was afoot.

It must be said that he was not totally stupid...all the time that he negotiated, stalled and pussy-footed, Britain's weapons industries and radar network were gearing up rapidly. A more gung-ho leader might have led us to battle sooner, and the results would have been dreadful.

mmitch
4th Sep 2014, 08:43
At least he earned us another year to rearm. We will need much longer next time. Perhaps too long.....
mmitch.

Allan Lupton
4th Sep 2014, 12:39
In defence of Chamberlain and the other "appeasers" let me point out that all of them had lived through the quite horrifying Great War, which had finished less than 20 years before their attempts to avoid another war at almost any cost.
Which of us can say we would have opposed them in the same circumstances?
Many people were in little doubt that war would come, but not many of them would have welcomed it.

an OT PS ten years and a day later (i.e. 65 years ago today) the Bristol Brabazon flew:O.

joy ride
4th Sep 2014, 13:05
I quite agree Alan, many at the time had been through WW1 and were keen to avoid a similar scenario. Thanks for mentioning the Brabazon 65th too.

Wander00
4th Sep 2014, 19:30
By a strange coincidence I am acquainted with one of Chamberlain's grandsons

joy ride
5th Sep 2014, 08:06
Glad I said something positive about his Grandad!