PDA

View Full Version : Poaching in NZ

Steve76
28th May 2002, 04:40
Recently read that someone's machine was confiscated in Rotorua for poaching.
Anyone know which operator?
I have my suspicions but lets fire up the rumour mill.
:D

Heli-Ops
28th May 2002, 07:20
The machine was an R-22, pilot was a young guy who used to work for Lakeland Helicopters. Cant remember his name. The property he was poaching on was owned by a friend of mine from Whirinaki and he has the whole thing on video :eek:

Heli Ops

Draco
28th May 2002, 08:08
Is it really worthwhile going poaching in a helicopter?

I know NZ is less populated than Europe, but it would be hard to do it subtly!

Can the possible proceeds of the expedition pay the running costs, never mind the potential cost of having the helicopter confiscated?

skidbiter
28th May 2002, 09:03
Two helicopters have been seized by the police within the last six months, do you think they do this for fun? It is very profitable, two deer shot an hour will pay the operating costs of a machine, ten animals an hour is common. Unfortunately poaching is becoming a serious problem. Angry land owners are stringing up wires between valleys as helicopter traps and the government is considering banning ferral venison export. Usual story the few breaking the law may ruin it for the legitimate operators. With regard to "subtly" - simple they just mask up the registration, and keep an eye out for farmers with guns and camcorders.:eek:

Vortex what...ouch!
28th May 2002, 11:45
Angry land owners are stringing up wires between valleys as helicopter traps

:eek: :eek: :eek:

A bit extreme don’t you think?:mad:

Heli-Ops
28th May 2002, 23:48
You think thats extreme. They had a maori land owner on the TV recently who said, on camera, that they might have to resort to shooting at them. Now thats scarey.

Heli Ops