PDA

View Full Version : Smoke in Cockpit Events

Armchair_Ace
3rd Sep 2014, 11:55
I get the impression that I am reading an increasing amount of reports of smoke in cockpit / odour events reported on the web. I would like to ask the 'older' pilots on here if they believe there has been an increase over the last 20 years & could this be due to the use of more electronic displays etc. in cockpits of newer aircraft today?

DevX
3rd Sep 2014, 14:03
Smoke in the cockpit and cabin odour are two different things. Which one in particular are you referring to?

Armchair_Ace
3rd Sep 2014, 14:52
Both, odour as in a non-visible unusual smell perhaps from something overheating, for example a fan bearing or a heat sink paste, melting pcb lacquer. Smoke from anything that has combusted & produced visible products of combustion for example a failed capacitor.
I am referring to cockpit fixtures & fittings & avionics bays & not from the the air-con system.

DevX
3rd Sep 2014, 16:20
Ok, with it now, but in some aircraft those smells would be impossible to detect due to the overpowering stench of burnt engine oil! :E

Apologies for the answer you didn't want, but I couldn't resist. :}

Armchair_Ace
3rd Sep 2014, 21:43
I agree on the engine oil stink, I worked with a certain brand on land based aero derivative gas turbines & one whiff had me looking at the data sheets to see what was in it. Wore a mask every time after that.

No Fly Zone
4th Sep 2014, 11:38
IMO, DevX sure did not contribute much helpful knowledge to this inquiry.
I wish that I had something to offer the original poster, but I do not. Guessing is not good enough.

DevX
4th Sep 2014, 14:44
I did apologise in my post for making a non contributory answer, so why your post? You clearly don't have anything useful to add either. :hmm: