PDA

View Full Version : Zante Airport

JonF
2nd Sep 2014, 07:44
I am currently on holiday here and am quite close to the airport. I have been watching the comings and goings and just have a question regarding the decisions as to which runway direction is used for take off and landings.

One minute all land on runway 34 then next take off on 16 then it reverts back again, there seems to be very little wind or change of wind direction to keep causing the runway changes

If wind is no factor then is it a pilot/atc decision on which runway direction to use?

Noah Zark.
2nd Sep 2014, 08:00
It might just be which neighbours/hotels to annoy most/least.

Hotel Tango
2nd Sep 2014, 08:23
JonF, I have no plates or personal experience of Zante. However, if the surface wind is calm it may be simply that 34 is preferred for arrivals (perhaps ILS only on that runway for example/terrain/noise) and 16 is preferred for departures (terrain or noise abatement reasons for example).

EDIT:

In fact, having just checked on google earth, I see that the 34 end is only approximately 775 meters from the shoreline. So, I guess, wind permitting, it makes for less noise and pollution for the locals to land and take-off over the sea.

Starbear
2nd Sep 2014, 08:42
JonF
From lots of personal but dated experience of Zante. As you clearly know wind will generally dictate RW in use but even when34 in use and wind acceptable and departing traffic permitting , a/c arriving from north will generally opt off or 16 for more expeditious approach. There are restrictions on descent and issue with controller handover etc for this. Similarly even when 16 in use, A/c routing north will frequently request 34 wind and arriving traffic permitting. In fact this is common at many airports and usually weather is CAVOK or near but not essential.

JonF
5th Sep 2014, 19:32
Thanks for the reply's

BN2A
9th Sep 2014, 00:03
Ahh, Zakynthos...

In the good old days, downwind left for visual 16.
Now, Andravida assuming the role of Fun Police....

:*